460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new ( to me ) 1955 Harrington & Richardson M1 Garand, it's not 100% correct but it's mine and I love it. I purchcased this one from a dealer but I think I'm going to jump through the CMP hoops and get a few more from them when and while I can. I joined the GCA, now I just need to get the firearms activity requirement out of the way.


[/img]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
tankrsc said:
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff :D
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:


P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
my M1 has a date of 7/44 it came from DMC years ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
MrFord said:
tankrsc said:
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff :D
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:


P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
I have got to fire a few (not enough) rounds thru an M39. Very Very nice weapon. I have another 91/30 that was Buba'ed by a previous owner. Short barrel was done right but everything else was rigged. I am working on it now using a Dragonov type stock and clip. The race car has been taking more of my time over the past year I haven't even had any of my rifles out in forever. Anyway I am always on the lookout for cool rifles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
MrFord said:
tankrsc said:
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff :D
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:


P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
I have got to fire a few (not enough) rounds thru an M39. Very Very nice weapon. I have another 91/30 that was Buba'ed by a previous owner. Short barrel was done right but everything else was rigged. I am working on it now using a Dragonov type stock and clip. The race car has been taking more of my time over the past year I haven't even had any of my rifles out in forever. Anyway I am always on the lookout for cool rifles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
I have a CMP Garand. I paid $145 for it... I went through the NRA armoring course to acurize it. What a blast!

I had a 100% correct, UNFIRED 6 digit Garand a few years back. I sold it for $1200...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Hey hotrodbird, that is a beautiful H&R M1! You don't see many that pretty. Just remember (sorry if you are already familiar with this...) to only use M2 ball ammo in it, or ammo built to that spec. The M1 has a very sensitive gas recoil system, and is only designed for a powder that is similar to 4895, and a bullet weight of 150 grains. You can really hurt an M1(bend the operating rod) by using commercial spec hunting ammo, especially with the heavier bullets (180-200+ grains). It is possible to use different weight bullets, and different powders, but it should be done with expert guidance following well established recipies SPECIFICALLY for the M1.
Sorry to preach, I don't want to see that great old gun have any problems!!! M2 ball ammo is still available from the CMP, for now.....
Have you come down with a case of "M1 thumb" yet? :lol: :lol: I know I have!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
32 Altered said:
I have a CMP Garand. I paid $145 for it... I went through the NRA armoring course to acurize it. What a blast!

I had a 100% correct, UNFIRED 6 digit Garand a few years back. I sold it for $1200...
$145??? That must have been a while ago!!!! Or you got the bargain of the century.. I bet that shot very well after being accurized, I have shot against a bunch of Camp Perry-types who had stainless Krieger match barrels on theirs, and they shot VERY well!!!

You had, then SOLD, and unfired 6 digit M1??? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!! The way prices are going up, you could have retired on what that was really worth if you had hung onto it.... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
tankrsc said:
MrFord said:
tankrsc said:
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff :D
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:


P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
I have got to fire a few (not enough) rounds thru an M39. Very Very nice weapon. I have another 91/30 that was Buba'ed by a previous owner. Short barrel was done right but everything else was rigged. I am working on it now using a Dragonov type stock and clip. The race car has been taking more of my time over the past year I haven't even had any of my rifles out in forever. Anyway I am always on the lookout for cool rifles.
Tankrsc, good work to "undo" the bubba job! I've rescued a couple of bubba jobs myself, which was very satisfying.
What a terrible conundrum to have more than one hobby. I know I haven't played with my guns much since I got serious about working on my car, don't have either the time or the money...... :(
Right now I'm trying to ignore several rifles that would like to become part of my pampered group. A friend who sells lots of military stuff has a good No. 1 Enfield, and a 41 series Carcano, and a Jap 7.7 as well, and, well, a few others too....... Must.... have.... control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
MrFord said:
32 Altered said:
I have a CMP Garand. I paid $145 for it... I went through the NRA armoring course to acurize it. What a blast!

I had a 100% correct, UNFIRED 6 digit Garand a few years back. I sold it for $1200...
$145??? That must have been a while ago!!!! Or you got the bargain of the century.. I bet that shot very well after being accurized, I have shot against a bunch of Camp Perry-types who had stainless Krieger match barrels on theirs, and they shot VERY well!!!

You had, then SOLD, and unfired 6 digit M1??? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!! The way prices are going up, you could have retired on what that was really worth if you had hung onto it.... :(
I got it in about 1992 or so. The unfired one was nice to look at, but that's all I could do with it! It wasn't any FUN. I also had an M1 carbine I bought for $119 before they cut off imports. A buddy & I reparkerized it & it was great. He was buying them 20 at a time & refurbishing them & selling them at shows. I traded it on an accurized 1991 Colt... Even today, I think I'm money ahead, but I liked the carbine better than the Colt...

Oh yeah, on the loads for shooting an M1... Use a faster powder, like Winchester Ball powder, the slow powders are what damage the guns. I forget the number, but the faster range of .30-06 is safer, the slower range puts too much pressure on stuff & BANGS the op rod.

Trigger jobs are fun to do... I got mine to break at a perfect 4.5 lbs. They taught us how to take pressure off & put it back on if you take too much off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
M1 Garands

Thanks for the compliments! Best investment I've made in a long time.
I plan on making a trip up to the North Store as soon as I get my rebate check to buy a crate or two of the Greek HXP ammo. CMP is definetly the way to go for ammo, the open market is almost double the price. I have two bandoleers left out of a can I shot up two weeks ago and I'm not buying anymore on the open market.

With 60 million rounds recently imported and a anual purchase limit per customer, there should be a decent supply for the next two to three years.

I joined the GCA and I registered to go up to Camp Perry for their small arms training course this July so I'll be good to go to purchase a rifle as well. Supposedly there are supposed to be some Winchester made Garands in the last shipment they got from Greece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Re: M1 Garands

hotrodbird said:
Thanks for the compliments! Best investment I've made in a long time.
I plan on making a trip up to the North Store as soon as I get my rebate check to buy a crate or two of the Greek HXP ammo. CMP is definetly the way to go for ammo, the open market is almost double the price. I have two bandoleers left out of a can I shot up two weeks ago and I'm not buying anymore on the open market.

With 60 million rounds recently imported and a anual purchase limit per customer, there should be a decent supply for the next two to three years.

I joined the GCA and I registered to go up to Camp Perry for their small arms training course this July so I'll be good to go to purchase a rifle as well. Supposedly there are supposed to be some Winchester made Garands in the last shipment they got from Greece.
Well, you are obviously "tuned into" the whole M1 "thing"!! I wish like heck I lived anywhere near any of those CMP stores, what fun that would be!!! I bought some of the Lake City ammo CMP had, should have bought more. Before that, I got some Danish M2 Ball that shot really well. I will probably have to try the HXP, 'cause that's about all that's left!
Have a good time at Camp Perry, I'm very jealous :D :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top