460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, So guys I am new to the forum. I have not found my answer yet so I am reaching out. I purchased a motor that was advised third hand was a 514 crate motor with 11/1 compression. I bought this motor for a 68 Galaxie 500(Toploader-389 gear). I took the pan off and discovered that it had a fresh rebuild with good parts: Eagle 4340 4.140 crank, Eagle 6.8 H beams, Srp flat top pistons(-3cc.. 4.390), with A429 72 cc heads. Problem, I believe all this adds up to 501 CI and 12.5 Compression, not streetable. Question, has anyone used a cometic gasket.. thinking .092 to reduce compression back to 11/1 vs new dish pistons. Will this much gasket create quench issues.. srp says no.. This is a street motor with a crower solid roller(was already with motor) with 650 lift 252/262 dur and 108 sep. not as concerned with hp as I am with fuel issues. 93 pump gas, weekend fun car, and can add a little race fuel to bring up octane.

Gasket are $260 vs pistons and rings.. $650

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Ok, So guys I am new to the forum. I have not found my answer yet so I am reaching out. I purchased a motor that was advised third hand was a 514 crate motor with 11/1 compression. I bought this motor for a 68 Galaxie 500(Toploader-389 gear). I took the pan off and discovered that it had a fresh rebuild with good parts: Eagle 4340 4.140 crank, Eagle 6.8 H beams, Srp flat top pistons(-3cc.. 4.390), with A429 72 cc heads. Problem, I believe all this adds up to 501 CI and 12.5 Compression, not streetable. Question, has anyone used a cometic gasket.. thinking .092 to reduce compression back to 11/1 vs new dish pistons. Will this much gasket create quench issues.. srp says no.. This is a street motor with a crower solid roller(was already with motor) with 650 lift 252/262 dur and 108 sep. not as concerned with hp as I am with fuel issues. 93 pump gas, weekend fun car, and can add a little race fuel to bring up octane.

Gasket are $260 vs pistons and rings.. $650

Adding quench distance to lower static c/r is counter productive and beyond .060" will be similar to running an open chamber cylinder head. Don't do it. Use the correct pistons to get 10.5 or a tic more with the dated chamber design of the A429's.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I thought of one more option. Is it better to spend the money to have the bowl reconfigured to a larger c.c. that will get me to 10.5. I am not sure the cost vs pistons.. the A429 heads I found have had a good bit of porting done so don't think I want to switch them out for a newer and larger c.c. Set. Anyone enlarged the bowl and know an average cost?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts