460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Im needing some advice/opinions on a stroker build that im attempting to do. This will be my first engine build. As per the sticky about build recommendations my specs are as follows:

1. Intended use- Street only

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans)- 1976 Ford F-100 2wd weighing approx 3600lbs(?) 3.73 rear gears and an adapted 4r70w transmission.

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas(include octane available))- 93 octane

4. Parts you already have- Short block with forged internals (4.4x4.3 stroke and bore, 6.7 inch connecting rods, 36cc dished pistons with a d cut relief) (assembled)

5. Proposed Budget- would like to stay under 10k

6. Location this may help to find a good machine shop- Southeastern Kentucky

With all that being said I am willing to give up some top end power for mid and low range power and torque. This truck will be a cruiser 99.9% of the time. Going to shows, drive-ins etc. Would like to stay below 10:1 compression as well. Im really looking forward to all your responses. Ive been a lurker on this site for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet and try my own build.

Ace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention I would like to stay with a hydraulic roller cam if possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I bet it weighs more than 3600, though. $10k goes fast, but should be enough. Keep cam duration appropriate for your goals. Roller cam and supporting valve train is not cheap. No 460s came with a HR.

The mad porter should be along shortly with everything you need to know.

Reactions: 87bbfox

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the reply! Yea..3600 what was i thinking its a 76 truck not a vette lol probably more like 4600. I was hoping The Mad Porter would reply to this. I read in another thread on this forum about his 521 Tow Pak and am trying to make choices similar to that build. Thanks again,
Ace
2DAA54A6-A8EF-4597-A6BE-D6E0258C5052.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
So you already have a short block with dished pistons for standard valve location heads?

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
33 Posts
10k with everything you already have should be easy to get. I'm doing a very similar build and I'm well under that budget with buying a Scat Kit from Lem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured that I should be able to come in under 10k. I wound up going with AFR Bullitt 295 heads with raised exhaust ports and am still selecting my cam shaft. I’ve been running various combos in engine analyzer plus (Dyno simulator) and am starting to narrow my choices down. Does anyone know what size bolts to get for lifting a 460 short block and where is the best place to lift from?

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
Do your current pistons have the AFR valve reliefs?

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They do not, they have factory reliefs cut into them. I’m planning on cutting the reliefs for the heads myself. (Not with a dremel, lol, horrified me when i seen that people actually do that) but using an actual fly cut tool placed in the head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I figured that I should be able to come in under 10k. I wound up going with AFR Bullitt 295 heads with raised exhaust ports and am still selecting my cam shaft. I’ve been running various combos in engine analyzer plus (Dyno simulator) and am starting to narrow my choices down. Does anyone know what size bolts to get for lifting a 460 short block and where is the best place to lift from?
Some lift by the carb mounts. Me I prefer in the head and one of the bell housing bolts personally. I believe it's 3/8" in the head and 7/16" in the bell housing.

As for the cam, I'd call a cam guy before I tried to figure it out on my own. Fact of the matter, that is what I did. I spoke with the gentleman who built the heads @Paul Kane and he ordered me one to match my springs, vehicle specs (1979 F100 short bed) and purpose with Parkland Machine @The Mad Porter I believe. Can't tell you the results yet because my block spent almost 3 months in a closed machine shop due to covid. But I put he specs in the desktop dyno and am pleased with the number that came out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice! That's certainly what I'll do (about the cam) before making the decision on what goes into the engine. I'm enjoying playing around with changing different variables to see what changes that they make in engine analyzer. Trying to learn all I can about all I can lol. I have to say engine assembly and building is a far deeper subject that I thought it was. I'm already seeing places where I could have planned better. Theres alot more to consider than just parts (especially when it comes to head, piston, and cam selection), but I'm enjoying the process and really appreciate the help from all you guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice! That's certainly what I'll do (about the cam) before making the decision on what goes into the engine. I'm enjoying playing around with changing different variables to see what changes that they make in engine analyzer. Trying to learn all I can about all I can lol. I have to say engine assembly and building is a far deeper subject that I thought it was. I'm already seeing places where I could have planned better. Theres alot more to consider than just parts (especially when it comes to head, piston, and cam selection), but I'm enjoying the process and really appreciate the help from all you guys.
You are on the the right track I was in your situation a couple months ago but got through it from the advice of this great forum I was able to narrow my choices down. It seems like you’re flexible with what will work I have afr 315 on a 533 but the best advice I could give would be to match your heads with your cam and the mad porter is the guy for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts