460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember my term oil and when I left my job last year. I was working for a company contracted directly to the Batavia Plant. I left because of mounting stress and my belief Batavia was doomed.

I was right they will be closed down, it sound like it will be fast. I read that the CD4E will be moved to Livonia, this is over half their production and is suppose to be phased out. The fact something getting phased out is getting moved indicates quick death for the facility.

The CVT was a failure and rightly so. It is junk. They even had one incident in Europe while I was there that should have lead a recall but was covered up.

Cincinnati and other towns in my area are loosing jobs like crazy. I can't imagine how many are un-employed now. Batavia has no other good jobs...

Strike that with my neighborhood loosing 384 jobs at a facility getting closed, and we are a small community.

The economy is aimed back downhill I fear.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
The economy is aimed back downhill I fear.
Aimed downhill? I don't think it ever headed up since 9/11. Sure there have been artificial indicators that really only reflect the rich getting richer, but for the average Joe....things have been bad for a long time now.

I don't know why people don't talk about the under-employed, and all the people that have been unemployed for so long they aren't included in the standard statistics any more.

My parents live a few miles from the Wixom plant in South Lyon, and they're reaching an age where they need to move closer to my brother and I here in Colorado. Hell, my brother had to move out here six months ago after loosing his job in Detroit and being unemployed for a year. He was lucky to get out when he did. Jobs don't pay nearly as much here as they do elsewhere, so it's been a real struggle.

I don't know that anyone can sell a house in the Detroit area without taking a real bath now. My dad worked at Ford for 40+ years and is discusted with the company and the government that would allow this to happen.

I just heard that the average American CEO salary is 44 times greater than the average worker. Contrast that with Japan at eleven times, or even less in the emerging third world manufacturers.

At least Bill Ford doesn't take a salary. I feel for a guy trying to run a business in a country that doesn't support it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The entire domestic auto manufacturers are heading towards extiction rapidly.
Toyota is poised to take over the #1 spot as the worlds biggest automaker.
It sucks! I dont like it...I dont like to see Americans losing their jobs and their livelyhood, but on the other hand we as a nation, are cutting our own throats.
We have been buying Japanese cars by the millions now for over 30 years, and that has enabled them to become a stronghold in the auto market.
But now, they have moved up to the next level as a certified threat to the U.S. auto makers.
Chrysler was in big trouble in the late `70's and they know what its like to have to lay off 2/3rd's of their workforce and trash all kinds of projects, documents, prototypes, assembly plants, and wherehouses.
When you're struggling just to stay in business, you have to go to extreme measures to prevent it from happening.
Thats what we are starting to see with GM and Ford (and nearly every other U.S. company).
Certainly 9/11 helped the decline of the economy, but its been steadiliy going downhill for many years....even as far back as 1970-71 when we arrived in the modern electronic age.

Americans need to wake up and realize that we are watching our own country being flushed down the toilet, and we need to take it back and re-instill our sense of pride and quality workmanship into our social fabric once again!!
We've sat around for too long and watched every politician, lawyer, judge, special interest activists, and CEO's sell us out for the almighty dollar.
This is not the United States of America that I read about in the history books!!

Okay...Im getting worked up over this stuff now....time to calm down and relax for a bit 8) but I admit that I am very passionate about my country, and I think its a place worth saving.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sad thing is the Japanese give us more jobs then the American companies. It makes it hard to be loyal to American brands, at least for me.

Around early-middle last year a large number of jobs popped up. When I walked off my job I had a new one in two or three days, it did not pay enough so I left and got another job in one week. Now looking at jobs there are very few out there again, and many people after them.

I wonder what the real ration is if you exclude stores and restaurants as jobs.

The government also reduced poverty level to 9800 for one person and 13,200 for two. 8 people is a touch over 30,000. Yeah, that is certainly poverty level alright.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth.
I believe the business climate in the good ol' US of A has changed dramatically in the past decade or so with the advent of the "Global Economy".

Gone are the days of "Company Men" who ran the business' of the most powerful economy on earth.
They have been replaced with MBA's graduated by our universities in the tens of thousands a year. The mindset of this "new" bread is a get rich mentality at any cost. Gone are the days of national/company pride, and the replacement is the lust of capitol gain....in and of it's self not a bad thing but the new execution leaves allot to be desired. When faced with tough choices about the bottom line, companies now take the easy way out and send our jobs overseas and pocket the profits. Sadly, in most cases our own government rewards them for doing so. There are so many treaties and trade agreements on the books that bend us as a nation over and fornicate us to tears that there should be more than a few politicians behind bars.

Management however, is not the only part of this equation to shoulder the blame. I feel that the union management are complicit as well. Take a look at union management and you see a striking similarity in pay scale with the management with those running big business. It just stinks and smacks of collusion. If union members as a collective had any balls these folks would be swinging from tree's. While I'm one the subject....What the f**k business do union bosses have using union dues to support political candidates? I can see hiring lobbyists but millions in workers dues directly to political campaigns should be off limits.

The third part of the equation stares me in the face every morning when I look in the mirror. That's right, you and I, Joe average citizen. We used to be the stewards of our destiny. Used to be a time that our government was "of the people and for the people". To a large extent the "citizens" have replace the government with political whores. These crooks line their own pockets and "bring home the bacon" to their constituents and damn the consequences and health of the nation. While far from being a "hero" in my eyes JFK did have one thing right. "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".
Shame on us.
Now that I'm worked up...it's time to head to work.... :shock:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Economic vuture

At the risk of over simplification, for good or bad as we all know we are now part of a world economy.

Concerning the American middle class. As poorer populations throughout the globe increase their wealth our wealth will continue to decline.

Thats not going to change in the near future.

On an individual level unless a person is born into wealth the best you can do is adapt. The best you can do is make sure your children are very well versed in the hard sciences. Perhaps then they will be more marketable in a world economy.

I should know. I have an M.B.A. from Harvard University
(Not really I made that part up).

Back to work.
Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
As near as I can tell, we deserve every miserable thing that happens to us. I have watched for years while somebody or another gets the shaft, nobody goes to bat for the other guy as long as it isn't their butt in the grinder... sooner or later, as long as we don't stick together... your turn will come around. As the founding fathers said... either we hang together, or we shall all hang seperately. This gimme, and gimme now attitude just pits us against each other.

This goes for buying foreign products, when the local government shafts your neighbor, when a company gets sued for millions over a minor incident, or when the police impound some poor jerks car because he was too poor to afford current plates until he gets paid next week. No one cares when it is the other guy... and the courts seem to think that their job is to assure revenue comes in even if it requires ignoring the facts. We deserve what we get.

I'm not saying that everything is hopeless... just that our country needs a tune up if it is ever going to run right and compete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.