460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is old news to some, but Ford is ending production of the Ranger in 2011....for North America anyhow. The rest of the world gets a new "global Ranger".

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is a horrible idea. Compact pickups are EVERYWHERE in my part of the world. Rangers are holding value like almost no other vehicle. Full size trucks can be had for damn near half the price on the used market. Why they'd want to just flip 75,000 units a year to foreign manufacturers is beyond me. :confused: Ranger buyers are not going to move into a full size or a Fiesta. They're going to buy a Toyota.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/u-s-spec-ford-ranger-to-officially-end-production-in-2011-ford/

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Thats BS!!! I drive a Ranger because it has good gas mileage and still can haul a sheet of plywood and some 2by4's when needed if they are gonna do this then they need to bring a $15-20K F-150 to market! It seems they are oblivious to what we really want.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Man... That sucks. I live in (or right across the river from) Lousiville KY and they make them here. They also make the Ford Explorer in the same plant. On the other side of town they make all the F-250's thru the F-550's.

They will probably just start selling Mazda pickups as Fords. They already put the Mazda engines in some of the cars. This sucks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's old news.

Yes, it's lame. I reckon they are going to start puttin 4 cylinders in fullsize trucks....good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Man... That sucks. I live in (or right across the river from) Lousiville KY and they make them here. They also make the Ford Explorer in the same plant. On the other side of town they make all the F-250's thru the F-550's.

They will probably just start selling Mazda pickups as Fords. They already put the Mazda engines in some of the cars. This sucks.
Ford bought Mazda out a long time ago.

My Ford Courier was made by Mazda and Ford. They've been together for a lonnnnngggg time.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mazda B series truck = Ford Ranger. Same truck, different name.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
good bye and good riddance, piss poor mileage, no freaking leg room or head room, doors too short. hmm cant agree on everything. lol. bobn

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think like zephyrbob said the big thing is gas mileage,maybe not the 4 cylinder but the V-6 version in particular.I had a 2009 Ranger Extended cab 4X4 FX4 with the 4.0 SOHC,it wasn't much better on gas than the 2010 F-150 Supercab 4X4 4.6 3V that i have now.There was only a couple mpg difference in back and forth to work mileage between the 2.I just think the Ranger was getting out dated and Ford didn't want to spent the money on a revised version.It's to bad because that new 300 horsepower 3.7 V-6 in the new Mustang and the 2011 F-150 would have made a great engine for the Ranger.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yeah sales are way down on them , mostly cause they've not been updated. I just bought a new one with the 4.0 auto with 4x4 and it gets only 20 mpg, but it gets around alot better than a full size and takes up less room in the garage, and has real good power!

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are making an F100 which will replace the Ranger.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2011-ford-f-100.htm
That's the Ranger replacement that the rest of the world is getting but north America isn't. Your link is from July 2008. They have since decided otherwise.

The problem with the full size it that it's, umm, full size. Won't fit on the 4x4 trails out here. Too big for most garages, too big to drive around in town, etc. It's not all about gas mileage.

The conspiricy theorist in me thinks they're eliminating it in the short term, but will bring back a new foreign made model in the next couple of years. They seem to investing in India pretty heavily.......

·
Registered
232 Posts
My bad! :(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
4 cylinder is good.

I can't believe people say I will get 18 mpg with my 2.3 in my 85 Ford Ranger with 5 spd....like wtf??

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I was always amazed that while Ford used a lot of different V6's in the Ranger that they never used the 3.8. I guess that it's just too wide yet they did manage to get the 5.0 v8 to work..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was always amazed that while Ford used a lot of different V6's in the Ranger that they never used the 3.8. I guess that it's just too wide yet they did manage to get the 5.0 v8 to work..
5.0 because the individual who owned the Ranger put it in and did the modifications..

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wish Ford would mod the 3.7l for a little more low end add a 6 speed with a fairly low first and I would be in heaven. Manual 4x4 would be nice too but I think I'm in the minority.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts