460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The best mod you can do is do what I did to mine.....throw that 400 away and replace it with a good 466, or bigger. It's a relatively easy swap. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 35" tsl boggers paint it black, and put a 460 in it. done.

But I am a little biased, lol.

Granted this is a 79 but you get the jist

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is that a true highboy? they changed over in mid '77. If it is a real highboy it will have a divorced transfer case, and low pinion front differential.
a popular upgrade is a power steering set up from a 78-79 F250 because the power assist they used on the highboys doesn't work very well.
As far as mods for looks, a nice set of wheels and 33 inch tires is all a 70's ford needs in my opinion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The power steering and a 429-460 swap and you have one of the best trucks Ford ever made.
You can put 35's on most highboys without a lift. I've had 33's and 35's on mine. Mine also started out as a 77 400 C6 combo. It's now a 429 4 speed with a 79 front clip.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I replaced the rag joint steering shaft assy. with a Borgeson shaft w/ needle bearing universal joints. One day I'll upgrade to this system and ditch the power assist unit, but this took out a lot of slop, especially since the factory bushed u-joint was shot.

http://www.benchworksteering.com/F250conversion.htm

I rebuilt my 390, added a Taurus 2-speed electric fan with stand-alone DCC fan controller, along with a 130 Amp 3G Taurus alternator. Added Autometer gauges for monitoring, and went through the mechanical to make everything as it should be. These trucks don't handle so bad when everything is tight and in spec. Basically, I made the truck "right".

Wheels and tires either make or break these trucks!

Derek.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the rag joint steering shaft assy. with a Borgeson shaft w/ needle bearing universal joints. One day I'll upgrade to this system and ditch the power assist unit, but this took out a lot of slop, especially since the factory bushed u-joint was shot.

Yea the factory rag joint sucks. I went through so many of those out playing in the mud I always had a couple in my console. For the final fix I replaced mine with a small universal joint made for a racecar. A buudy of mine owns a raceshop. got it from him. Has been fine now for years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts