460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever added the Ford kickdown attachment to a Holley DP?
I have a 850 mech sec WITHOUT kickdown & a parts 750 vac sec that has it.
Not sure if I can swap it to the 850.????
Concerned about the screws that would have to come out of the throttle shaft to remove the shaft from baseplate. Would a guy just put thread locker of some kind on them when reassembling?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I suppose ya can. But it ain't that easy! Throttle blade is 1/16th bigger. You would have to do some filing or milling on the shaft. Not that hard, I have done it several times. And yes, use a thread-locker of some kind or restake the screws when assembling. When taking them out, gotta grind or file the ends of the screws or they can break off.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Not an 850 but have used a universal kit like this , no reason you couldn't fab up something similar . As long as it hits at full throttle . Even a universal type cable kit would be preferable to pulling the carb apart

·
Registered
120 Posts
Or you could order a kickdown cable and bracket from Lokar. I have used a couple of them and they work great.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose ya can. But it ain't that easy! Throttle blade is 1/16th bigger. You would have to do some filing or milling on the shaft. Not that hard, I have done it several times.
I was wondering if the throttle shafts were pulled from both carbs if the actual lever attachment could be pulled from the 750 shaft & put on the 850 shaft. Is this what you are saying or are you meaning use the 750 shaft in the 850 base with 850 throttle blades?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was wondering if the throttle shafts were pulled from both carbs if the actual lever attachment could be pulled from the 750 shaft & put on the 850 shaft. Is this what you are saying or are you meaning use the 750 shaft in the 850 base with 850 throttle blades?
"use the 750 shaft in the 850 base with 850 throttle blades" is correct. Can't take it off the 750 shaft. Ya have to machine the area for the blades on the 750 shaft wider for the 850's 1-3/4 blades and use it in your 850 base.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
why not buy the holley kick down extension they make for doing this? :confused:
If you are talking about the shaft that is sold to add to your carb, it still has the 1-11/16 size for the blades.
If you are talkin extension only, ya gotta have the shaft to use it. It is for extending the actual kick-down rod from the trans. Some are a bit too short to get the adjustment correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts