460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone knows more about Probes than me.I recently picked up a 94 Probe GT 2.5L 5 spd fairly cheap for my daughter as it won't start.It turns over fine,but won't fire.I checked the fuel pressure, it gets pressure in the start position of the key but the fuel pump doesn't cycle when in the run position.The fuel pump relay gets 12v when in the run position though but doesn't get a ground signal to trigger the relay.I tried checking for trouble codes by bridging the TEN and GND terminals on the OBD1 diagnostic connector and got nothing, not even a blip.I am getting 12v to the computer and the check engine light is on which seems to indicate it is doing something.I checked for spark with my timing light a couple of days ago and it was firing but today I checked again and there doesn't seem to be getting any spark.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know those cars have a history of distributor problems.The previous owner replaced the distributor a couple of years ago, I have his bill from Ford and he paid $1051.95 for a new one.Would there be a trouble code if the distributor was bad?

·
Registered
508 Posts
My wife drove one of these for a while (bright purple '94 GT), no code is thrown for a distributor malfunction, it's fairly common for that engine, be carefull of rebuilds as they they typically don't address the real issue, I bought a rebuilt dist from a Mazda dealer out of Geaorgia, Trussville Mazda or something like that (which I highly recommend), under $300.00 with the right electronic upgrade in the rebuild, they sent me a distributor (which looked like new) with new cap and rotor, completely fixed our problems, I wouldn't mess around with one your unsure of, no way to test if good or bad, my wife's Probe crapped out a couple times on the freeway, started like nothing was wrong 5 minutes later, intermitant problem you'll never figure out, I learned about the dist problem on a Probe forum (there is a TSB on this problem). The 2.5L is a solid engine, the distributor and ATX trans are crap and the car is a rattle trap, but fun to drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts