460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 some crazy reason ive developed a mis - ive got all new stuff in the car- plugs,wires,cap-rotor - i even removed alternator belt to rule out the alt-causing the crank trigger to have issues-

its burning the back of the plugs off and the edge of the rotor- im lost - car went 9.11 off trailer and never made another clean pass after that

any ideas - rotor and cap distributor phased correctly

any ideas would be great

gonna pull a leak down monday -

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Is the pickup hooke dup correctly. I know getting the wires crossed on there will cause problems. Also, don't rule out the box. I chased mine for weeks before I sent it to get checked. It was bad.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Gerry,

What track did you go to i was off on Sunday and didn't do anything.If you would of let me know maybe i could of helped you out.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes....plugs....as well as a shielded cable to the MSD. I had a miss and both of these fixed mine. Any 12volt wire carring voltage around the pick-up wires to the MSD can pick up radio noise. Maybe a wire got moved etc......Hope this helps :) :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Pic's of plugs or even an in-car vid would help..

Umm you didn't mention if the miss was high speed, part throttle or just off idle?

I had troubble with my fuel filter when I started running my car.. You can have pressure but not flow.. I'd pull the line off the carb and check it for flow.

Someplace else I'd check is the Intake manifold bolts.

Last idea and because I feel it may be going lean is fatten it up some.

This is some of the things I'd check if I were in your shoes. Like I mentioned it's a crap shoot without pic's or video..

Hate that your having problems.. Hope ya find the cure quick!

Les

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Gerry,

I heard Dragway 42 is kind of rough,maybe it could be the plugs.You changed them at Norwalk and never mde a full pass after that IIRC.Did you keep the old plugs you took out that day and was the gap the same between the 2 sets of plugs.Also the plugs you put in weren't the same as the ones you took out were they.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Check high chip. They will break down at a early rpm :shock: Rick

S

·
0 Posts
ONEBAD555NOTCH said:
brand new plugs sat mark- ill let ya know wha the problem is no video les and it higher rpm
Thanks for the update Gerry..

The Boys know all abot the rev limit stuff. So keep what they said in mind. None of my cars ever had a magic box. So I have no experience there.

I did have a high speed miss fire on my old 466 @ 5000 Rpm. I changed the dist, swapped a MSD box and it still did it.. Asked the question on the forum and someone mentioned too much fuel. The car had 80 / 80 square jets. I leaned out the front to 76 and it ran perfect.

That was one of the reasons I asked for a pic of the plugs.. I would richen it up first to see and then maybe go leaner.

Just do me a favor and get a 5 gallon bucket, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and run the pump.. It should look like a fire hose..

You can also go up in fuel pressure.. I ran 12 lbs to trouble shoot my clogged fuel filter deal.. You can have PSI but not flow..

Best of luck Bud! Hope ya get her fixed..
:)
Les

1 - 20 of 53 Posts