460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy gets a dropped racked I do not want 2 inch's of header clearance. Does anyone make headers for this?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know of no headers made to use with a dropped rack. I believe D&D has a mid-length header that works well in those circumstances.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that what you used or how low off the ground are yours and did you lower it right down? I can weld but not sure how I could build headers if not in a kit.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have an 1.5" dropped Pinto r&p. Using a motor plate, I have the oil pan .375" from the r&p. With my full length headers, I have a very limited 2-2.5" ground clearance. This is after adjusting my coil overs as high as they'll go. The collectors are tucked up ok-the problem is from the last 2-4" of the primary tubes.

As you hinted, I am planning on re-fabbing a couple sections of the headers (at the bottom) to help with this.

My car is 95% street and I doubt this would be an issue if the car was strip only.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why not drop the motor? On a street car especially, getting the motor as far down and as far back as possible is desirable for handling. Also, the lower you can get the motor, the better your chances of using a taller intake and still using the stock hood w/out a scoop, therefore keeping up the sleeper effect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly i want it very low any ideas of cost to buy header kits what i found so far looks nuts.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
96Mustang460cid said:
I have an 1.5" dropped Pinto r&p. Using a motor plate, I have the oil pan .375" from the r&p. With my full length headers, I have a very limited 2-2.5" ground clearance. This is after adjusting my coil overs as high as they'll go. The collectors are tucked up ok-the problem is from the last 2-4" of the primary tubes.
Michael
Michael, which headers are you using?

If I can ever get up and running again (just relocated) I plan to address the issue of poor ground clearance when lowering the engine in a fox. I have a couple of ideas which should work well.

I agree there needs to be a special header set available for this.
I also would like to comment that some of the long-tube headers offer better ground clearance than others.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: nobody

ONEBAD555NOTCH said:
unless you have a-460 heads,you shouldnt need to drop the motor
I agree that it's not a necessity, but it sure does get the engine at a better angle, and allows a lower hood line. Probably more attractive for a street car than an all-out race deal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BBBobM:

I don't remember who made my headers. I found them on the internet when I was initially building the car. Since then, though, they have gone out of business. They were a smaller company.

You're right about the need for a specific header. I imagine it would be difficult though. So many people drop their engines varying amounts and set it back varying amounts. Some people have k-member spacers while others have dropped r&p and, still yet, others have some combination of 'weight transfer' mods.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
56 Posts
What do you guys thinks about modifing a set of hooker headers to gain clearance, (cutting a section of them, and then re-welding) when dropping the k member 1.5"?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
that should work depending on what trans you plan on using. When using a C4 they can build the headers to tuck up tighter under the floorpan. when using a C6 or a PG, they have to be mounted out wider and therefore hang dowm further due to floor pan clearance.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bigbub1968 said:
What do you guys thinks about modifing a set of hooker headers to gain clearance, (cutting a section of them, and then re-welding) when dropping the k member 1.5"?
Well it sounds easier than it really is, because the tubes all head towards the collector at different angles. Cut a section out of all the tubes and then only one or two will align back up. The rest will miss by a significant amount.

Actually the Hookers have decent ground clearance (compared to some). Lowering the front of the engine 1.5" (measured at the rack location) only causes the headers to be about 3/4" to 1" lower at the lowest point becsuse the lowest part of the headers is about halfway between the trans mount (which doesn't change) and the engine mounts which are dropped 1.5". You possibly could then raise the trans mount a little bit to offset that even more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts