460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. to the point. i have a 1989 fox mustang. I am looking to do a power brake set up with the 460. I have heard that there are clearance issues with brake boosters and the valve covers / headers. i have a full wilwood brake set up front and rear. also looking to get their master cyl. i will be running an electric vacuum pump for the booster. my question is what brake booster will fit the fox with the 460? anyone done the conversion? pictures? any help is appreciated 馃

Registered
I have a 93 LX 460,headers.Don't know about a vacuum booster but mine has a hydro boost setup out of a 2001 GT. Plenty of room for everything,fit right in the car with no mods.I would go with a Saginaw power steering pump conversion although mine has an electric pump from a Toyota MR2. Brakes and steering are effortless and you won't be hearing the super noisy vacuum pump Just something to think about...

Registered
I have a 93GT Mustang with a 460 out of a 74 F250 with C6. Standard valve covers and the stock power brake booster clears fine. If I was to upgrade to taller covers I may have to "adjust" the corner or switch to manual.

Super Moderator
I used a manual master cylinder conversion kit from Skinny Kid Racing. See the link below. These cars don't weigh much. This works great for me with not much pedal effort. It also leaves plenty of room for any valve covers you want to run. Pretty cheap also..

Registered
I have a 93 LX 460,headers.Don't know about a vacuum booster but mine has a hydro boost setup out of a 2001 GT. Plenty of room for everything,fit right in the car with no mods.I would go with a Saginaw power steering pump conversion although mine has an electric pump from a Toyota MR2. Brakes and steering are effortless and you won't be hearing the super noisy vacuum pump Just something to think about...
help, yrs ago i had a 79 lincoln hydraboost in my 80 mustang/460.
now im working on another 80. will this 2001 part fit mine ??
it has no power now but im putting p steering needed for hydraboost.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
do you by any chance have any pictures? I am very intrigued by your response and didnt think about something like that. thank you very much for the response!

Registered
When everyone started doing this swap back in the early 90s, the 83-85 T-bird was the ticket, if I remember right. About 7" in dia and 10" long.

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
@Mark G Man! That's a clean setup! I've still got a rat's nest of colored spaghetti I'm fighting on that side of my 90LX!! Btw who's headers are those? Back on topic, I've got a booster from an 86GT I'm gnna try to use on mine, it looks to be the same size as you've got, the 7in round one. Do you have roller rockers hiding under there either you or @thermod ? Those both look really sharp!!

Registered
Werecow,

Thank you for the compliment.

Headers are D&D 2" full length. I also used there motor mounts with my stock K-Member. Everything lined up perfectly including the trans mount.

The booster is the stock unit that came on the 93GT. No roller rockers. Just stock stuff for now. I am building a new engine that will use roller rockers and tall covers so I will probably switch to manual brakes then.

Registered
Werecow,

Thank you for the compliment.

Headers are D&D 2" full length. I also used there motor mounts with my stock K-Member. Everything lined up perfectly including the trans mount.

The booster is the stock unit that came on the 93GT. No roller rockers. Just stock stuff for now. I am building a new engine that will use roller rockers and tall covers so I will probably switch to manual brakes then.
this was my "old' 80/460, scuse the rust. cant find a closeup of hydraboost but you see the space. i could reach the last plug to change.
not a show car, a go car daily dry day driver.! from 95 to 05...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts