460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doors on my 93 notchback are very heavy. Is there significant weight savings to be had by gutting the doors before I put them back on?

Any ideas on what a fully gutted, 12 point cage, 521/C6 93 notchback weighs?

I put it on a CAT scale before I did anything and in completely stock LX 4 cylinder condition it weighed 2940 pounds with a 1/4 tank of gas and the spare tire..

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Chris... you can definately take a lot of weight out of the doors... Ever thought about just going to a nice set of carbon fiber or glass doors? We put some on a couple different customer cars and they look really good and will save you about 100+ lbs.

Most totally stripped Fox Bodies with something like that will be about 2800-2900 lbs give or take.

By the way, did you get everything handled? Never heard back from you!

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Cale.

I have thought about the aftermarket doors. I've seen the fiberglass ones from Harwood but they were up over $400 a piece. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on doors. Afterall... This is only for fun. I'm not out to win a championship. If you have a cheaper solution I'd like to take a look. I just figured I'd strip and gut the doors like I did the rest of the car. ....If I never have to scrape off the sound damper stuff from the floors again it will be to soon. I think that alone took me a week. That is nasty crap.

Jeremy almost has it worked out. QA1 only sent me 1 spring kit for 1 strut so far. The other one is in the mail. But we will get there. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '84 Capri hatchback and replaced the bubble hatch with a conventional one. All steel with a big block and C6. I took it across the scales and it weighs 2875 with me in it and race ready.
Paul

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
scharf, you saw my car in byron when we all were chewing the fat. it wieghs 3270 with me in it....front drivers 990, front pass 960. both rears 660 each corner. i am convinced some of the best weight reduction in a nose heavy fox is alum heads. fwiw bobn

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scharf, you saw my car in byron when we all were chewing the fat. it wieghs 3270 with me in it....front drivers 990, front pass 960. both rears 660 each corner. i am convinced some of the best weight reduction in a nose heavy fox is alum heads. fwiw bobn
WOW!! Thanks Bobn. I would have guessed it at 3400 to 3500 pounds. Well I guess there is hope then. I already have the aluminium heads covered. I just wish the P-51's didn't require new pistons. If not I'd upgrade. Now I just have to wait until I blow the damn thing up (again) before I get a set.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Chris under 3k should be no problem my full street trim 86 was 3100# with a full tank of fuel iron heads cast manifolds and complete exhaust front to rear no weight reduction whatsoever. Had an 86 notchback that was completely gutted (I mean nothing but a rolling chassis) and I coulld grab the front bumper and pick the car chest high. I believe one of these cars gutted with full glass still in it probably weighs ~1200-1400# max.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts