460 Ford Forum banner

foxbody guys: brakes/spindles on my capri

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dukeofdiamonds 
#1 ·
just yesterday i picked up an 83 mercury capri id had my eye on for the last 5 years or so for 200 bucks, fully intending to throw the 468 im building in it. however this car has the most terrible stock drivetrain ever, with a v6, aod, and a 7.5 inch rear, and tiny v6 worthy brakes so its all getting tossed for beefier stuff.

Question: are the spindles on this car the same as an 87 mustang? i fully intend to swap the rearend for that of a turbocoupe/xr7 8.8 with 5 lug, and im going to change out the front brakes for those of a late 80s lincoln mark VII.

i know for a fact 87-93 mustangs have compatible spindles, i just need to know if the earlier fox stangs/capris had the same ones.

also, any chances of town car front spindles/brakes being able to fit? theres a town car i can get for like 50 bucks... ill just yank what i need and scrap the thing if i can use any of it.

thanks, Dave

#2 ·
I have a 79 capri, was a 4 banger. I had to swap out the puny rear for a 8.8/ & tossed the whole front end into the trash, you will need 87-93 spindles to run a decent brake & you could to go to 5 lug as well. Don't know anyone using town car spindles ? let us know if they work :wink:

#6 ·
i got spindles from a 95. they are five lug. got loaded calipers, newe rotors and new sealed bearings, worked out the best. i believe they are 11 inch rotors. the pre93s are four lug and early ones are 10 inch. i am using a manual booster so i wanted the larger rotors.
..i left the rears small drums so i can do a foot brake burnout easier. bobn

#11 ·
id love to do the newer ones but money is the issue, this is a budget project all the way... and im considering every option at this point in case one jumps out at me.

ive read numerous sites that say ranger brakes work, but they use completely different wheel bearing sizes. i checked out all the parts at my work and theyre not the same at all.... has anyone actually done this themselves?

#13 ·
guy at one yard quoted me 225 for an 8.8 rear off a 96, he quoted me 130 for the spindles/brakes up front which is a bit more than i wanna spend, but ill haggle him down. decided for the money ill have a good foundation for whatever kinda speed it reaches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.