460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
How many runs on the motor? If not that many I'd cut open the oil filter and leak it down. If alls good might check the springs, run valves etc. Otherwise I can see you wanting a professional to go through it. But then again you are a member of the best 460 site on earth. :wink:

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
bruno said:
there are probably 30 runs on motor 10 runs on just the plate and 5 runs on just the fogger never both.... havent grab my balls yet lol.....
the last time i took of my pass side head to replace a gasket there was no cross hatching in the cylinders????? is that good or bad?
That depends on the cylinder work. If it was a slick low friction hone job, you're not going to see the same thing you'd see on a daily driver. Did you have any apparent lip at the top of the cylinder where the top ring stops? Are you seeing any smoke or oil consumption?

Bret

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Bruno,Don't be so paronoid about going in your motor. It,s actually really fun and gratifing when you get it finished.I'am 53 and I rebuilt my first engine when I was 18 or 19. It was a 427 LoRiser.I grabbed a Motor manual and started asking alot of questions. You have some of the best people in the world on this Forum to help you. Will save you lots of money also. Check and double check , be very clean and you will be very proud. LOL Rick

·
Registered
967 Posts
bruno get the 460 engine manual,go over it acouple of times,before you start tear down to get familar with the engine,and just dig in.whats that sayingSO EASY A CAVE MAN CAN DO IT) you might even find some support on this site...........ha,ha!just do it

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
636 Posts
Like what was just said, grab a motors manual and buy a Torque wrench and have at it. I haven't worked on a motor in 35 years but that's how I did it then. My cousin knew a little about motors (chebys that is) he, I and another friend completely rebuilt a 289 for my '65 Mustang in 1 weekend.
We were lucky it didn't need any head or block work. Turned out to run pretty strong. You can get a shop to do that though. My second engine was a 428 CJ which I did on my own. I'm doing a 460 this winter.
If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty YOU CAN DO IT.
And also like was said you have the BEST forum there is to back you up.
GO for it!

GT300TD

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
unless your in a hurry, take your time and do it yourself. You will learn sooo much. We are hear to answer ANY questions. I do my own wrenching, but these guys are a lot more 'technical' and precise. If worse comes to worse, you can always take it somewhere later and have them put it back together. With a good manual, this site and maybe a local mechanic friend you CAN do it! Autozone has the loan-a-tool program for those 'use once' tools.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure the time given to rebuild a 460, but I do know it takes about 45-60 hours to rebuild a CAT C15 ACERT engine. Dollar wise that somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 to 7,000 dollars maybe even more. That is not including sending it to the machine shop if needed and any parts.

I think the hardest part of doing an engine (if you want to call it that) is the removal and install. Making sure everything is disconnected, not hitting anything on the way out or in and finding a safe/clean place to put all the parts that you have already removed. So, they will not get lost, broken or damage.

After that HELL YES TEAR **** UP! Get your hands dirty. Since this maybe your first you are allowed to slop oil and coolant on the floor of the garage, allow the crack of your a$$ hang out, grease marks on the front of your pants where you grabbed a set and scratch, grease on your face because you can't find a rag to wipe your face and used your t-shirt instead. Not sure what kind of tools you have, but you are allowed to cuss a lot because there will be another trip to Sears for that one socket. You will also be allowed to leave greasy finger prints in the manual then have to look back on the page where the finger print is covering some little information that you wanted to re-read which allows for more cussing. That is just the tear down.

Then there is the inspection and cleaning of all parts. While you send your block and head to a machine shop to be magaflux (checking for cracks and all that).

Then there is the rebuild......LOL.

At the end of each day you are allowed to call your buddies over for a beer and have the traditional belching and farting contest. It is your MAN CAVE so you generally always win. You can than impress all your friends with the new knowledge you have learned, even if you are not quite sure of what it all means yourself. You will still sound cool.....lol.

Then there is the install.

Once the project is done you will swear to God all of your pants are like a cheap bar.......NO BALL ROOM.

After the clean up you can admire your NEW MAN CAVE because of all of the cool tools you bought. A few years ago I had to buy a 600ft lbs torque wrench. I still support wood when I pull that out and have to use it.

So have fun and learn :mrgreen: 8)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm with the rest of the guy's, dig in I know it looks scary but there are videos and book's, manuals and the boy's right here. I was so proud of what I accomplished with the help of friends and vendors that we started a car club witch we called I.B.M ( I Build Mine). For guy's who got there hands dirty and had fun, not with out set backs or screw ups but that's all part of it. Have some Ball's go for it. It will run faster and sound better just because YOU BUILDT IT. Dam I do LOVE this hobby. So get your *** go'en .Be 8)

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I have done all my own motor, trans, chassis, hell everything besides the actual machine work, if i had access Id do that as well lol. I will pay to have heads professionally ported and my converters built, but the rest is all me. I take pride in knowing my stuff performs all from my doing, that and there are very few I would allow to actually build my motors and such as I'm such a damn nit pic. I can understand if time is an issue, but the lack of " I dont want to try " is not an excuse. I have always had to learn due to the fact my money only goes so far, and labor is pretty damn cheap when you do it yourself. Actually getting to learn how the deal works and why will give you a better understanding and make it easier to tune the deal. Besides its only nuts and bolts............. :wink:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
From what he (Bruno) said, it sounds like the motor is fine and ready for several more passes before a freshen up, actually might be just getting broken in and making good power! I'd run it another season or until you see a loss in oil pressure, loss in power, burning oil, or a lot of leak down on the rings. If it aint broke don't fix it. Just my opinion. Chris

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
ccso640 said:
From what he (Bruno) said, it sounds like the motor is fine and ready for several more passes before a freshen up, actually might be just getting broken in and making good power! I'd run it another season or until you see a loss in oil pressure, loss in power, burning oil, or a lot of leak down on the rings. If it aint broke don't fix it. Just my opinion. Chris
He's right Bruno, You can't fix it if it ain't broke. Sounds like it is just now ready to stretch it's legs. But when it is time. We're all here to help you fix it or even make it BETTER yourself. Rick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts