460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally ready to put my Brembos on my 64 Falcon and I realized it has been quite some time since I installed front wheel bearings. If I remember correctly you snug up the nut to seat the bearing then back it off a smidge or something like that.

Anybody care to give me a quick refresher on torquing them up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
565 Posts
I personally tighten down the nut as I spin the wheel to make sure it is straight and true. Snug the nut down tight to seat the bearing, then back it off just enough to let the wheel spin freely. When proper it should have a slight drag but spin free and obviously have no play in it etc. I was taught this method and it has worked well for me. Hope this helps.

Seth

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I did. Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
new bearings are different than reinstalling the old bearings ! old bearings you just snug buy hand no force no slack on the bearings, new ones you snug then tighten just a little then they break in and become just snug like the old bearings ! always worked for me just never over tighten your new bearings or they will fry !

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
this is a good subject, i caint belive where it says tighenmand back off,and people leave it loose,< who ever said that way back when anyway?lol

they should always be tork, we tork them to 25lbs,never ever had a problem,street car race car, what ever, in fact i tested the tork nut on 4x4 ford ,and the click at 25lbs

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
this is a good subject, i caint belive where it says tighenmand back off,and people leave it loose,< who ever said that way back when anyway?lol

they should always be tork, we tork them to 25lbs,never ever had a problem,street car race car, what ever, in fact i tested the tork nut on 4x4 ford ,and the click at 25lbs

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Doug Rahn said:
This is from the service manual for Foxbody Mustangs. Works great and never had a problem with wheel bearings.

1. With hub rotating, tighten adjustmant nut to 17-25 lb. ft.

2. Back adjusting nut off 1/2 turn.

3. Tighten adjusting nut to 10-12 lb. in.
+

this is great info,,and why i like this fourm,thanks doug.....

-R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts