460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Out of curiosity are they still for regular cam bearings?

If my memory is correct, do you still need to hone the mains and lifters?

Thanks in advance!!

·
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Out of curiosity are they still for regular cam bearings?

If my memory is correct, do you still need to hone the mains and lifters?

Thanks in advance!!
They take the std. or extra wide cam bearings...not roller. The A460 block's lifter bores never have required honing. One may or may not have to hone the main bearing housing bores....depends on the required oil clearance, shaft dia. , etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lem, not to sound stupid....is that roughly what a 4.440 bore would be honed to? Will any of the A460 blocks work with a 4.440 bore? And the TSF 18 bolt heads? I know, I'm still learning this stuff. Thanks!

·
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lem, not to sound stupid....is that roughly what a 4.440 bore would be honed to? Will any of the A460 blocks work with a 4.440 bore? And the TSF 18 bolt heads? I know, I'm still learning this stuff. Thanks!
If you want to run a 4.440" bore you need the A460 block...not the A460BB which is ~ 4.490" to be honed to 4.500" bore.

The TFS 18 bolt heads will bolt right on either the A460 or A460BB block.

·
Registered
569 Posts
roller cam bearings

Lem,
I hate to hijack the site but I am looking at blocks..... but that isn't my question today. When you talk about cam bearings. You mention regular, wide and roller....

I have a D0VE-A block. I just installed a roller cam. When YOU talk about roller cam bearings are you talking about the newer blocks with factory roller cams? Or are you talking about installing an after market (Crane) roller cam in a D0VE-A block needing "special" cam bearings....

I will need to know this so I know if my new cam will work with whatever I build over the winter.

Any info pertaining to the cam bearings "cans and can not's" would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at putting 4 bolt mains in my D0VE-A block over winter. Then I started looking at fords blocks.

Another thing I don't understand is the 18 bolt heads thing. I know mine has 10 studs on each side. I assume the 18 bolt are the newer block/head combo's. What will switch with what?

Thanks for your info! It is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Auggie

·
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can run the steel roller cams with std. style bearings or the rollerized style bearings. The 'roller' bearings require the cam tunnell to be bored bigger....expensive. Most applications do not require the roller deal and will be just fine with the extra wide bearings.

The 18 bolt thing is for the C460 & newer TFS A460 style heads. You can put your 10 bolt heads on the 18 bolt blocks ....no problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can run the steel roller cams with std. style bearings or the rollerized style bearings. The 'roller' bearings require the cam tunnell to be bored bigger....expensive. Most applications do not require the roller deal and will be just fine with the extra wide bearings.

The 18 bolt thing is for the C460 & newer TFS A460 style heads. You can put your 10 bolt heads on the 18 bolt blocks ....no problem.
Thanks! With all the research I have done those were the two things that didn't make sense.... but now they do!

Thanks again, Auggie

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the shipping on one of those big bore blocks to arkansas zip code 72401 i can pick it up at the truck frieght office.
Thanks
Chris Thomas

1 - 20 of 36 Posts