460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rough body, great chassis. LWB, Fair 38.5 tire on aluminum 16.5 rims in excellent condition, Dana 60 rear and, I think, front axles, 205 divorced tranfer case, C6 auto, and of course, a good running stock 460. Newer duel exhaust.

Needs work but it would make an AWESOME mudder.

ROUGH body and a GREAT chassis.

I'm selling it to help fund another toy :D

$1200 obo in Davison Mi, about an hour north of Detroit.

lots of pics available on request

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corrections

One of our astute members pointed out that this couldn't be a 78 High Boy, cause there is no such thing. And that the transfer case is not a 205, but a 203.

The errors were just that, errors. I am not a four wheel drive expert and I was just passing on the erroneous info that I was given.

It does look like a 78 though. And it is definitely a High Boy chassis.

Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
895 Posts
78 4x4

If it is a 77 or older high boy it will a remote/divorced T-case which is a 205 gear drive. The 203's(gear hi-low chain to front output) only came mated in 78-79 as did the 205. The 77 only had garrison power assist steering or manual. The 78-79's had an actual integral box which is highly sought after as you can retro fit onto a 77 or older. The front springs on a 77 are a positive curve 6 leafs whereas the 78-79 are almost flat or negative curve 2 leafs. The 77 had a 4" rear lift block and 2 1/4" wide rear leaf springs. The 78-79 had a 2" rear lift block and 3" wide leaf springs.
Hope this helps FWIW Mark L.

·
Registered
560 Posts
fwiw the 203 tc was also offered as a remote unit from 73-77 like the 205 and if its an early 77 highboy it should have the bendix style power assist,the garrison was offered up to 74 or b4 serial # T80,000

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Could be an earlier chassis with a 78-9 cab and front clip. Divorced tranny T/C is definately a high boy deal and I don't know why anyone would try to put them in place of a married unit. I would lay good odds the front is a D44 with the large hubs. Only D60 in the highboys was a closed knuckle unit. I wouldn't get too rough with one of those, because they have smaller outer U-joints than a D44.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a rebody. I checked the VIN and its says its a 78 F150 4WD with a 300 six.

After doing a little research of my own, the front is a Dana 44, the rear is a Dana 60 and I am pretty sure its an np 203 transfer case.

I drove it today and I decided to keep it anyway. The chassis and drivetrain are AWESOME. I drove it around the yard and it didn't spin a tire in 6 inches of snow, sheet ice and 3 foot high snow plow burms. On the other hand, my 85 F250 2WD with a 460 gets stuck in spit and is useless for at least 6 months out of the year. It's stuck right now. But it has a MUCH better body then the 78. I'm going to rebody the chassis yet again with the 85 body and part/scrap the 85 chassis.

I have lots of pics but the site overloaded the last time I tried to upload them.

I'll try again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yup that is For sure 1977 and older running gear (high Boy stuff)

203 Tcase
Dana 44HD front axle
Dana 60 Rear
Power Assist steering

if it has a 78-79 grill in it then it was put on after it left the factory when it was new

the body is basicly the same from 1973-1979 so parts interchange

the 80 and up body stuff will be a tough fit

if you have fabrication skills it can be done

even the box holes won't line up

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm puzzled. I keep hearing that High Boys have "Hydraulic Steering"
as if it is a different and special version of steering.

What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages to "Hydraulic Steering", and is it really and signifigantly different then regular power steering?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
InfoFord said:
if you have fabrication skills it can be done

even the box holes won't line up
What do you think about using the High Boy 4WD parts on the 84 chassis?

Sounds even harder.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re

You might want to measure the frame width's. I'm thinking the 80 and up frames are wider than the earlier models. If that's the case, you'll need to move the spring perches on the pre 80 front axle.

Alan

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
InfoFord said:
lots of work to swap in the axles and build the stuff needed to mount the Tcase custom build a front suspension
be easier to use the 4wd chassis and set the body on it this way your building stuff to mount the body
Thought so.

Thanks. :)

This is a great site. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts