JB Weld will fix 'er right up.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
That their is a mess.... :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I don't see anything bad there. Just bolt the head back down and run it on 5 cylinders. It will still keep up with any other BBC. :lol:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Ah, nothin left on that bank to bolt a head to, its ripped the deck off all the way to the last cylinder.

The "cackle" cars aren't supposed to really make any HP, they are ALL show. Just fire em up and let em make noise. Apparently the stock Chevy block don't even like that kinda load....

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know about that, Kim.

The fuel altereds were out and running 3.80's at 180 mph at our 1/8 mile track last weekend.

This one obviously didn't take the win....

Greg

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
They arent Factory Heads on the Motor.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh I hate to see that! Looks like the High Voltage Hayride car. They come test at Texas Raceway almost every Wed night. They went 4.06 @ 174 a couple of weeks ago. They run a lot of nitro in that one, reminds me of 60's-early 70's Top Fuel stuff with the flames at idle. Guess it will be a while before it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Greg_Pettit said:
I don't know about that, Kim.

The fuel altereds were out and running 3.80's at 180 mph at our 1/8 mile track last weekend.

This one obviously didn't take the win....

Greg
Cackle cars is actually a group of nostalga cars that are allowed to fire up and Idle at major events. I have a customer here that is a nostalga car restorer, and has done two or three now.

They aren't allowed to make competition passes, as NONE of them are close to NHRA safety standards for anything in this decade.... (Most are 60's and such builds).

Now if by cackle car, he simply ment the loud pop of Nitro... my appologies, I misunderstood. Then it probably had a couple hundred Hp in it... lol.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Remember this deal from a couple of years back??

·
Registered
479 Posts
I found the story...
Between rounds some serious drama unfolded in the Tim Hay pit area. The "High Voltage Hayride" had made some quick repairs and attempted to fire the motor, apparently with un-ignited nitro still trapped in the cylinders. Everyone is aware of the dangers of running racecars of this kind include the entire "High Voltage Hayride" team, but accidents happen and this one was scary. A bomb went off and and could be felt at the starting line as the team attempted to fire the motor during the warm-up. The entire left side of the cast iron Chevrolet blew out taking out both top and bottom frame rails and leaving two pistons sticking out the side of the now destroyed block and bottom end. Shrapnel flew and a mushroom cloud rose over the trailer as everyone stopped what they were doing and looked to see what had happened.

Crew chief Shawn Hay was hit in the leg by racecar parts acting like bullets as the energy of the explosion was in full force not a foot away from him as he started the car. Luckily, no life threatening injuries resulted from this intense and hair raising situation. Needless to say, Hay's day was over but the team's spirits were not dampened as smiles were found across the pit in thankfulness that no one was severely injured. Not all was a loss, as this just gave the highly anticipated post-race party an earlier start in the Hay camp. So the show must go on and that it did with the final qualifying session which could spell do or die as Poloson and Marriott battled for position.
more... http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=172141#indextop

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Kinda reminds me of a deal at LION's dragstrip in the late 60's. Bunch of "hangnails" were starting their "new" funny car. They pushed it up to the staging area, plugged in the starter cables, and wound it up. Battery's AND fuel cans were in the back of their near by pickup, hanger-on sitting in pickup bed ON A FUEL CAN. "crew chief" pulls starter off blower while "assistant" throws battery cables into truck bed. You guessed it, cables hit 5 gallon NITRO can, BOOM!!!, blows hanger-on out of truck bed with his butt on FIRE. Everybody runs to truck to put out fire and to hanger-on to put out his butt, total confusion. Meanwhile, driver is rapping motor in "race car", does it once to often, lifts blower, splits block, another FIRE in staging lanes. 3% of people trying to help, 97% hysterical with laughter. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts