460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Vortex?

How did the Aeromotive tech determine that a vortex was forming in the fuel pickup?

This is a real problem that happens...usually with bottom mounted fittings. It happened in my fuel system. I fixed the problem with a simple sheetmetal vane welded to the hold down nut.

However, with your horizontal pickup and the return fuel returning where it is, I seriously doubt you have fuel flow organized well enough in that area to create a vortex. That seems improbable.

And, a vortex doesn't cause rust...obviously.

Also, you should ask the filter manufacturer what the free flow pressure drop is of your 10micron filter at the maximum fuel flow you expect to see in your configuration. My guess is you won't like what you learn. This is why 10 micron filters are usually used on the output side, and a larger mesh like 40 micron is used on the input side...less pickup restriction. In my configuration with a Weldon 2031 pump, I need a 40 micron filter to achieve full flow; and there is a pump performance penalty for having even that filter present. It's a trade off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
freak78 said:
What kind of fuel pump are you running Danny?
I'm using a Walbro high output 255 LPH/480 PPH in-line fuel pump (for EFI) with only the OEM mini sock filter on the end of the fuel pick-up line (and EFI filter after the pump). I used a brass bulkhead connector (available at your local Parker Store-hose & fittings) for the fuel return line fitting such as this one (only I replaced the lockwasher with a copper washer):

Since your fuel system is equipped with AN fittings, you would need one of these Aeroquip bulkhead adapters instead (in whatever AN size your using):

with one of these appropriate size lock nuts:

You can get really creative with these things, like inverting a 45* bulkhead connector (locknut on outside, top of tank) so the return fuel is aimed away from the supply sump.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I decided to take apert the carb and check it out since there seemed to be so much rust and what not. Man was it messed up in there,so I took it apart as far as I could and cleaned it out,fresh gasket's and the whole ball of wax.Wow what a difference.I hope everything is fixed now.Thank's everyone for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are moving your return line to the top...right?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts