460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1970 Torino has a 480hp 460 with d3heads, 219/227 voodoo cam with 10.4 c/r. I'm running a rpm dual plane and hp 750 double.pumper 4150 carb with no Choke. I have stock fuel tank, lines and a Holley mechanical pump. The car it's becoming more of a strip than street, has 4.11's locker and et streets.
it currently runs 12.3 @ 107mph with 1.6 60'. 3850lbs. Everyone i race says it falls flat after half track. They figure I'm running out of fuel. Just looking for ideas to upgrade fuel system, and would like to be able to feed a larger cammed engine down the road.
I am debating getting a sump welded on our just getting a new 20 gallon fuel cell. Also wondering what electric pump to run at the tank with a remote filter and than a regulator and return line at the engine. Also wondering if i should go with 1/2" fuel line.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mat

·
Registered
671 Posts
All of the above.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ya, that's what i was figuring. I cross the line at about 5700rpm. And have always had surging issues at the top end that i seem to fix with timing or a new fuel filer. But i think it's time for a fuel fuel system build.
I was thinking a holley blue. Or, possible an automotive 2000 if it's not an over kill and a by-pass regulator. And as far as filters do i need two filters, one before and after pump? Also is my stock 5/16 fuel line fine for a return line.
Mat

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Ya, that's what i was figuring. I cross the line at about 5700rpm. And have always had surging issues at the top end that i seem to fix with timing or a new fuel filer. But i think it's time for a fuel fuel system build.
I was thinking a holley blue. Or, possible an automotive 2000 if it's not an over kill and a by-pass regulator. And as far as filters do i need two filters, one before and after pump? Also is my stock 5/16 fuel line fine for a return line.
Mat
I run 2 filters. A 10 micron (a Russell) before the pump and a 100 micron (A TrickFlow) before the carb. I also run the Aeromotive SS electric pump along with the Aeromotive bypass regulator. It is all tied together with -8AN lines and fittings. I had a couple of Holley Blue pumps that I ran on the street and strip. They were good when they ran both units left me stranded on the side of the road when they died. I put the Aeromotive on and I have not had another issue. That was about 6 years ago now. Each Holley blue died in about a year. Maybe it was just bad luck but that was my experience with them anyway.

Also as far as I understand the rules at most tracks if you go with a fuel cell and electric fuel pump they don't allow rubber fuel lines. You have to go with either steel lines or the braided fuel lines.

·
Registered
817 Posts
i run a manual pump on the street it's nice quiet... At the track i run a holley blue pushing thru the manual pump it work's fine... i would not run both on the street for a long period of time.. it is possible to rupture the diagram in the manual pump pumping fuel into the crankcase... im running the same hp 480 and weigh 3870 with driver best et of 11.38 @ 117

1 - 5 of 5 Posts