460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an in house dog, motion light, 12 gauge and locks but my garage got broken into last night. I suspect the reason I sustained minimal if any losses its because my garage is super trashed. I predict they will be back.

Do you guys have any other ideas for security/survailance?

I can't really afford an alarm service.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My garage is part of my house alarm and my pits take turns sleeping in the garage. All it took was one motorcycle to be stolen and my house became Ft. Knox.

You should go to the local hardware / garage store and get some of those cheap slidebar locks for the garagedoor.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have the overhead doors bolted and padlocked, motion lights on the outside, a motion sensor with insanely loud siren inside, and hidden cameras that get recorded by my computer when activated.

You can pick up a really basic motion sensor alarm with siren for under $25.00 that will scare off 99% of the would be criminals in the world. When mine goes off, I have to leave the garage because it's so loud it feels like my ears are going to start bleeding.

Here's a couple:
http://www.testproducts.com/safecart/product_info.php?products_id=104
http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.aspx?PageID=64&SKU=535575

You can probably get them at a local radio shack or hardware store.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Alarm

Phil,
A few years ago my garage was broke into and I lost about $1600 of stuff.
It could have been worse and yes I thought that they would come back.
This is what I did.

Lowes has an infra-red alarm kit from First Alert. You install it on the back wall of the garage. Go to Radio shack and get the 120db siren, some wire and a toggle switch.
Install the toggle switch at the door to the house. Total cost is less than $80. The alarm has all of the connection ports to add the remote devices.
You can program the alarm to trigger after one, two or three motions sensed. The alarm will sound after 15 seconds. So if you enter the garage you have 15 seconds to flip the switch. If someone is passing thru the garage when it is set all they need to do is turn the switch off then on to reset. The alarm will not set until 90 seconds of no motion takes place so you can set the alarm and not worry about triggering it.

If you have handguns buy the small key pad safe at Harbor Freight $40 and mount it securely into the studs in your bedroom closet. One gun should be ready to rock and roll. If you need to get to the gun it is 20 seconds away. My choice is a 45 cal Taurus Millenium.
I do have a piece of mind even thou the cat got locked in there and tripped the alarm at 3 :00 am..... exciting

sorry for being long here.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a good system. I picked up a cheap deal from Home Depot. Its coded and has a 30 sec activation timer but it just keeps going off no matter what. I stuck it in a bucket. Still went off.

I spent tonight hardening all my entry points and locking down.

I like your system better except I prefer a shotgun. I'm in the city.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Run down one of those burglar alarm guys when you see one on the road..... Most of them will do side work!

Parts are cheap. I used to do it for a living years ago.....

R

·
0 Posts
Shops got a steel door, reinforced locks, overhead is double locked, trailer parked in front of it (bout 10 different padlocks on it with a sep alarm also) Shop doors have a sensor on them and one motion (no windows in shop either) At night the shop is armed along with the house, the main siren is loud as hell and right outside my bedroom. Loaded .44 mag in the closet, will not hesitate to blow big holes in anyone who enters my house or shop, and I will sleep good at night if it happens. I have no sympathy for a thief, my house was broken into when I first got married and they took all my guns and all her jewelry (she is a jeweler so she had a lot of nice stuff). They never entered the detached shop though . I installed an alarm on that place right after and first thing one this one when we bought it. If it wereme I'd be camped out hoping they returned....but thats just me, been there done that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmmm

Lets see, no locks, no gun, no alarm. Lunitic (me) comes and goes at all kinds of wierd hours. Lunitic lives between two crazy people in quiet neighborhood. Dark garage, stuff scattered everywhere, making it hard to find any goodies (organized mess) Rabid cat lives in garage, only likes lunitic owner. The door of the garage is left open so when the luntic comes home and sees thief in the garage the lunitic can breath life to the 460 and install instant rear garage door with new "thief hood emblem".
Sorry officer, the gas pedal got stuck! Opps!

Honestly, I live in a great neighborhood and half the residents own guns. Its up to the thieves to figure out which ones. :p

I have no interest in grabbing a gun to go meet someone who might have one too...lol

I'd rather have an alarm system the goes off with a time delay that locks the morons in the garage! Oh what a feeling to hear a door slam and latch behind you, lights go out....Trapped, like a rat in a cage.

There are also those fake cameras with the LED lights... A small sign on the door... WARNING: Boobytraps inside . I wonder what I could mock up with a coil spring and some razor wire...lol Hindsight: Floor drain in the garage. :wink:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I can tell some stories but......I walk around outside with my FN-Fal and people seem to get the picture......everyone in the area knows they will be shot and impaled in the front yard.... to secure peace is to prepare for war....D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dave, If you have a part number on that unit please post. Can't find it on lowes.com or on the first alert site. I have one of the old screaming motion devices, but I like your system better. We have dogs, pinned windows, double locked overhead and trailers parked in the way. Along with motion lights, of course.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Wow, I am very lucky, I live in a great neighborhood. I have went to bed several times that I forgot to close my overhead garage door, and have never had a thing missing. Maybe they think I am to poor to own anything worth stealing. :?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Phil said:
But won't that leave spent shells everywhere to clean up?
It never hurts for a half dozen or so spent shells to be left around on the ground outside the entry in plain view... beside the shovel and a fresh mound of dirt. I also recommend having several large, non running vehicles close together in the way of the good stuff. If you have enough of them and move them frequently, no one can tell if you are there or not. lol

Seriously though, thieves watch for a schedule. The more predictable you are the easier it is for them. Don't leave the garage door open unless you are in it... they don't need time to take inventory and see where the good stuff is. When you get cool new items, like tools and expensive parts, don't put the empty boxes out in plain view on trash day. It's like a shopping list for them. And once you have been broken into... they have a pretty good idea that you will be replacing stuff in a few weeks after you get the insurance check. Most people tend to get some sort of alarm after the breakin... so they test to see if it is monitored and reaction times by taking out a window or something similar. A motion detector that triggers your camera for the pc, without an outdoor light coming on, might be a good idea for a while to see who might be testing the waters. A motion detector that triggers the lawn sprinkler system would give the police a good wet body to look for in the neighborhood along with footprints to see which way they went. Some of the glue board style mouse traps would be difficult to remove in the dark if an intruder would step on them, (just not good around your cats and dogs) especially if one of those stupid singing fish activates just inside the garage door. Not real alarms, just something to make them think about getting caught.

Good luck with the problems.
Tom

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you want to catch someone getting into your garage buy a baby monitor , place the monitor in the garage and keep the reciever in the house. these things are so sensitive that in my garage with all of the doors shut i can hear my daughter talking to hear friends in the back yard ten feet away from the garage. i use drive way monitors to set up a grid pattern in yard around garage the only down fall is at night if a stray cat gets into yard the alarm goes off in house.once alarm goes off i look at a closed circuit tv to see whats in back yard.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I put in burglar/fire alarms on the side. I can get you any kind of alarm you want, cheap. Basic unit is $75 bucks Add a motion detector and a couple of door switches, keypad siren and you're still under $150 bucks.

Plus they are easy to install yourself.

If anyone is interested just PM me. I can give you the place to call. You can use your credit card. Wont even go through me.

You can do it yourself really.

JS

·
Registered
510 Posts
For the overhead doors we use Vise-grips in the shape of a large"C", like welders use. Lock it in the track right above a wheel on the door. It cannot be rolled up. Use this with some pad locks, and it will deter most crooks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts