460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't be the only person wondering. What is the purpose of the gas ported pistons and what applications are they beneficial to?

Thanks,
Dave S.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The gas ports use combustion chamber pressure to push the ring into the cylinder wall, giving a more effective seal.

In the past they been use mostly to compensate for incorrect ring gap.

They are useful in applications wherein you are trying to minimize parasitic loss; in that they allow you to reduce ring tension when the ring is not loaded.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Mark. Direct answer from a piston manufacturer, this board is great.

I noticed them lately because people mentioned them in build specs and a couple in the auction block sections.

Sounds like a nice feature to to have. Low tension when its not needed and max pressure when you do. Is this an option for any of the pistons Probe offers Mark?

Thanks, Dave S.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thank you Mark. Direct answer from a piston manufacturer, this board is great.

I noticed them lately because people mentioned them in build specs and a couple in the auction block sections.

Sounds like a nice feature to to have. Low tension when its not needed and max pressure when you do. Is this an option for any of the pistons Probe offers Mark?

Thanks, Dave S.

We will do it......but the circumstance where they actually help is on the extreme end of the Land of Diminishing Returns.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am trying lateral gas ports on my new engine, I have used top gas ports in the past with good success. My new pistons have very close tolerance on the ring lands, which I believe will need the entry of cylinder/combustion pressure through the lateral ports. In addition I run nitrous which may reduce the expansion of the piston in all areas. I also run the engine on the cold side (130*).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Gas porting is a technique that has largely come and gone. People that at one time recommended it aren't doing it anymore.

Current practice is is better and narrower rings, higher ring placement that traditional SAE standard. And in some cases, more clearance between the piston and cylinder above the ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts