460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up one of my vehicles. It has a 19 gallon gas tank and the needle was on E. Funny thing is, I paid for 20.72 gallons. I guess in the abstract, I could have been running on the fuel in the line when I pulled in, and the filler hose/neck could hold 1.72 gallons, but I'm more inclined to think the station is skimming.

I've heard about how some stations rig the pumps to skim a little when you pump more than 5 gallons because the state only uses 5 gallon cans to verify that they're not ripping people off.

My question is, if it were you, would you call the state about these guys?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
here in minnesota the pumps are all maintained by the company that leases them out. the owner/operator of the station has nothing to do with calibration etc. unless it is some sleazy old time off to the side place i doubt that anyone would even bother to freak around with them. jmho. bobn

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i would go back there and get eather 2 5gallon contaners or one contaner that holds more than 5 gallons
fill it up and that way you have a clear and accurat way to find out
and if you have a buddy that would video you doing it that way you have proof
and yes of course call them in
we pay to much as it is

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree take a couple 5 gallon jugs that are marked as precisely as you can and have someone video you. I have seen one station caught at that and they ended up being fined into oblivion (turns out it wasn't the first time they had been caught)and I feel anyone that steals like that deserves anything they get.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Carl,

Did the same thing...My driver holds 15.4 gallons including reserve, pumped 16.4. I made mention to the cashier, got the "they(pumps) are checked weekly BS" :roll: :twisted:

Rick S.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I guess my question is, without being a thread killer...how do you know that the tank truly holds 19 gallons? I have a "25 gal." tank in the truck & routinely get more than that in there, at a variety of stations. It wouldn't surprise me to find that one of them is cheating me blind, but probably not all of them. ("Of course just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"-George Carlin)

Of course the poly tanks are notorious for slightly changing sizes along with outside conditions. Also, the filler neck can hold a lot too depending on design. My Scout filler pipe holds waaay over a gallon itself, without being close to the cap.

And then there's the old "fill it up in the AM, not the PM" theory...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
there is a gas station a block from my work that does that too... i filled up my probe from empty and it took 16.6 gallons... before that day id never been able to get more than 15.3 in... so i never went back there for gas again.

·
Registered
867 Posts
A few years ago I filled up my 14 gallon fuel cell and somehow managed to pump over 20 gallons in it. I mentioned it and they got an attitude about it. That was until the cops showed up to take my statement. Not sure what ever happened to them but the cop was pissed and sayed he was going to contact the state about it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If you suspect there is something wrong, then I would report it to your Dept. of Agriculture. This just recently made the news in Texas, and it happened to their Commissioner of Agriculture when he was filling up his car. They found out that about 72% of the pumps were tilted in favor of the station owner.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
CarsByCarl said:
Just filled up one of my vehicles. It has a 19 gallon gas tank and the needle was on E. Funny thing is, I paid for 20.72 gallons. I guess in the abstract, I could have been running on the fuel in the line when I pulled in, and the filler hose/neck could hold 1.72 gallons, but I'm more inclined to think the station is skimming.

I've heard about how some stations rig the pumps to skim a little when you pump more than 5 gallons because the state only uses 5 gallon cans to verify that they're not ripping people off.

My question is, if it were you, would you call the state about these guys?
They do the same 5 gallon test here and get stations all of the time, they also occasionally find water in the gas.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I filled up my truck with diesel last month and managed to put almost 40 gallons in it. Book value is 44 gallons but I have had this truck for 6 years and have never put more than about 38 gallons in it when I am below E. I usually fill up when I get down to 1/8 and it only holds 33-34 gallons. I was well above 1/8 tank this time as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In this day and age of high fuel costs, I'd be on the horn for sure. Back when it was a buck a gallon, I'd get irritated when my 3.3 gallon motorcycle tank would take over 4 gallons, but I'd deal with it. Now, not so much. I think we have to call weights and measures in PA, but I'm not even certain.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Carl call the state weights and measures dept tell witch station and they will have a record for it . If' it's off they red tag it right away and it has to fixed asap. They follow up very fast.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Gas tanks are designed to allow for a certain amount of expansion so it's feasible that that you could pump more fuel into the tank than the tank is rated to hold. While going to school at UTI in Phoenix I was told about how people would overfill their tanks to the point of filling up the vapor canister with fuel. My recomendation would be to see how much fuel it takes when it first clicks off and make sure you have the nozzle on the lowest setting when checking this.
But I also think we need to keep the gas stations honest. If it's off more than a gallon or two I think I'd be calling somebody.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Here in the state of Mississippi they have a 1-800 number you can call and report the station to state attorneys' office. If something like this or if you see a station raise gas prices after any major news event. I'd call the the cops about it first.

One of the best ways is to findout how much a messured amout gallons of gas should weigh. Then not only use a pre-messured contianer but also weigh it for accuracy.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I don't think I'm going to go crazy with my own testing and hidden video cameras, but I do think I'm going to call it in. I've never pumped more than 16 in this thing before when the needle was on E, and this time I pumped almost 21?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts