460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on my Cougar some more. One thing I wanted to put in the dash was an all purpose "Check gauges" light. Have one bulb light up if either say, the volts drops below 12, the oil pressure drops, or the temp rises too high.

Now.. here is my theory.
For oil pressure.. get a dummy idiot light sender.. run 12 volts + to the light, and the ground will be the sender when pressure = 0.

For temp.. get a dummy idiot light sender.. run 12 volts + to the light, and the ground will the sender when temp = over 200.

the 12 volts could be a common wire, but I would think that I'd need a diode on both the oil pressure sender and the temp sender..

Ok no problem..

Volt light....

I have no idea how to do that..

I currently have the volt light hooked up, working with that multipurpose light I put... but. the way it's hooked up is weird.. it gets power on both inputs of the light, with a resistor, and 12 volts positive...

I'm clueless how to isolate that circuit from the other two..

Anyone help?

Anyone at least know what I mean? :?

·
Registered
872 Posts
For the volt light you MIGHT be able to use a relay for the sensor. You would ground through a NC closed contact - when the relay coil has sufficient voltage the contact is open, if the voltage drops below where the coil can hold the contacts the circuit closes.

I really don't see why you would need diodes in this circuit. Except across the relay coil.

Note - by no means am I an electrical engineer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts