460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run a Pete Jackson gear drive and a mechanical fuel pump. I'm sure others have done this.

How did you attach the fuel pump eccentric to the timing gear? Did you use the 2 piece eccentric or a 1 piece off a 351w?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Either the right guy hasn't spotted your question yet, or you're blazing a new trail. Anyway, this'll bump you up again. :wink:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
wesleyj said:
I want to run a Pete Jackson gear drive and a mechanical fuel pump. I'm sure others have done this.

How did you attach the fuel pump eccentric to the timing gear? Did you use the 2 piece eccentric or a 1 piece off a 351w?

Thanks
First I can't imagine why anyone would run a Pete jackson " dogbone" style gear drive.

I have no idea how to do the fuel pump thing. Most people running a gear drive run a Milidon single idler. I have one of those, and I run the fuel pump off the FRONT of the cam or a belt on the crank. I'll probably do one or the other. I can see where a fuel pump ecentric could be used with this Milidon set up.

why not use a good electric pump?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Dog bone ??? Why would anybody, without being forced, even consider runing one??? :roll:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit, you guys are making me reconsider using this Pete Jackson gear drive.

The thing is i've known guys to run them and have never heard of any of them having problems with them. But again I also consider many of you guys authorities on BBF's so I have to take that into account too.

Maybe i'll go with the Milidon setup.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The Milodon gear drive is a race only thing, IMHO. I would NOT recommend it on (in) an engine that will see any street useage.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Chuck Stevens said:
The Milodon gear drive is a race only thing, IMHO. I would NOT recommend it on (in) an engine that will see any street useage.
Not that I want to run one on the street, given I have a race only deal but why do you say it is race only? is that something Milidon says? just curious, because it seems pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not trying to stir up the whole gear drive vs timing chain debate, but does anyone have any first hand experience with any damage caused by a gear drive?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
wesleyj said:
I'm not trying to stir up the whole gear drive vs timing chain debate, but does anyone have any first hand experience with any damage caused by a gear drive?
I have never run one, other than the Milidon I have now. It is my understanding that the floating gears in the center on the dog bone style, tend to load the cam gear up as they "float" to one side. Even transfer allot of Vibration and harmonics from the crank to the valve train and vice versa.

the Milidon single idler gear drive is a "fixed" idler so it doesn't "float". I don't know if it transfers allot of harmonics or not.

I don't know if I described it sufficient enough to make sense, but that is how it was described to me.

I do know the Big fuel guys run gear drives, but of course they have the liberty of changing them every pass or so too.

I would think a good chain would hold up to a good bit of HP. I don't think they are very expensive. Probably less than 90 bucks?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have ran a Milodon gear drive on a 460 with a mechanical fuel pump. I used a factory Ford eccentric and a Carter 429 SCJ pump. This was a few years back, but I think I might have had to make a few minor mods. This was in a jet boat application and it worked out great. I pounded it for four years with no problems. My use consisted of sometimes 30 minute blasts at 6000 RPM. That is where a chain will die when you run some heavier spring pressure for long durations of time. Don't use one of those Pete Jackson (or clones) double idler egg beater designs. The Milodon setup is the only way to go. They use a needle bearing thrust washer, and a single roller bearing idler gear. Chuck Stevens, I wondering why you say do not use a gear drive on the street. To me that is a place that a GOOD (Milodon) gear drive will really shine. If you have a pro street type car or a hot boat with a roller and some big spring pressure you won't see a season of street/ strip use out of a chain. In a Drag race car sure you can get more then on season out of a chain. But what is that in distance maybe 25 miles at best. The Milodons when set up correctly are pretty quiet and smooth. I will say that good belt drive like Danny Bee gives you the best of both worlds. But they are not out there for every engine type plus the cost may be out of line for some applications. Pete

·
Registered
382 Posts
i ran a pete jackson gear drive several years ago in a chevy. was new when installed ,block had never been line bored, gears werent to tight when installed but 1500 miles later idler gears exploded at about 7500 rpm took out everything

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'll be honest. My buddy bought this gear drive new for his BBF and then never ran it. He then went the 351W route and sold it to me for $50. I though to myself, price is right and it's a little different. That's about as much though as I put into it. Now that i'm actually getting close to assembling the engine and doing a little research on what others are saying about the PJ gear drives maybe I'll go with a good timing chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ran a Milodon gear drive on a 460 with a mechanical fuel pump. I used a factory Ford eccentric and a Carter 429 SCJ pump. This was a few years back, but I think I might have had to make a few minor mods. This was in a jet boat application and it worked out great. I pounded it for four years with no problems. My use consisted of sometimes 30 minute blasts at 6000 RPM. That is where a chain will die when you run some heavier spring pressure for long durations of time. Don't use one of those Pete Jackson (or clones) double idler egg beater designs. The Milodon setup is the only way to go. They use a needle bearing thrust washer, and a single roller bearing idler gear. Chuck Stevens, I wondering why you say do not use a gear drive on the street. To me that is a place that a GOOD (Milodon) gear drive will really shine. If you have a pro street type car or a hot boat with a roller and some big spring pressure you won't see a season of street/ strip use out of a chain. In a Drag race car sure you can get more then on season out of a chain. But what is that in distance maybe 25 miles at best. The Milodons when set up correctly are pretty quiet and smooth. I will say that good belt drive like Danny Bee gives you the best of both worlds. But they are not out there for every engine type plus the cost may be out of line for some applications. Pete
I'm also running Miloden gear drive on my daily work ute, perfect set up for longevity and service life. The gear drive will out live my engine I have no doubt. I have just had the holley blue electric pump I was running give out on me, so ive 'over the shoulder'd it and I'm going mechanical. Just put a standard 2 piece eccentric on with a machined hardened washer 30thou thick behind it to allow the inner section to freely spin. Torque it all down with loctite and it'll go forever. I may have to narrow it a little to clear the timing case, but that's tomorrows problem.
Cheers
Chaz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts