460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
300 Posts
I've been watching all this crap unfold recently and it just goes to figger.. I'm just now at the point where I can start piecing together parts for my engine build... I just got a set of iron D0VE heads cause it's looking like aluminum will be sometime late 2022 before I have the $$ and they will be available.. Now it seems like most of the rest of my parts are gnna be late 2022 as well... If they are ever produced again... Frakbook mrketbk or other used places are gnna be the easiest places to find stuff and not wait 6 months, but then you don't know what you're getting if you're trying to find a cam or a stroker kit that's used..I think this is all part of the green deal crap and we won't ever see any more new speed parts made unless it's a bigger electric motor for a Frakkin Tesla or a bigger set of batteries for one.....

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I didn't have a lot of trouble sourcing parts for the 502 I just "finished". The only thing that got a little worrisome was the Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold I had on order for months. But fortunately a brother sold me a good used one. The Trick Flow cylinder heads I bought were unavailable for months, then one day I saw Summit had three in stock. Might shoulda bought the third one as a spare. Why would someone have Three cylinder heads?!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe somebody dropped one and broke it??🤔🤔😁

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Well, I did mess up a fabricated aluminum valve cover and had to buy another set. I was TIG welding a filler bung on, and using the threaded cap to hold it in place while tacking it. I got two tacks on, then remembered I didn't put anti-seize on the threads. It was locked up solid! IDIOT!

·
Registered
1969 Mercury Cougar, XR7, 466, C6
1 Posts
Waited on parts for most of this year myself...painful. Recommendation though, if you ordered it before 1 Oct and you still need the part, keep it on order. My brother owns Brutespeed.com and most of the companies he sells added a 5% materials and labor charge that became effective 1 October. The 5% up-charge is in addition to the already rising prices.

Good luck everyone. New to this site but not new to sending Summit & Jegs my paycheck.

Jon

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
So how's that "Green New Disaster" working out for the automotive industry?
Remember when ammo got scarce and the price was jacked to ridiculous prices. We thought it was to slow down the sale of firearms. The following is a paragraph from SEMA. I'm sure you guys already knew this, but could be a small piece of the slowdown. I'm not being political... it's just I'm not real busy due to parts shortage, so I was reading a bunch of stuff and came across this article.

"The RPM Act reverses the EPA's interpretation that the Clean Air Act does not allow a motor vehicle designed for street use—including a car, truck, or motorcycle—to be converted into a dedicated racecar. This American tradition was unquestioned for 45 years until 2015 when the EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways. Although the EPA abandoned efforts to make the policy a formal regulation, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal. Manufacturing, selling, and installing race parts for the converted vehicle would also be a violation. The EPA has also announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority. "

SEMA RPM ACT

·
Registered
438 Posts
Unfortunately our hobby, obsession, job, business, etc is effected by politics, EPA laws, state laws, etc and what happens overseas due to metals and manufacturing. 50 years ago, Made in USA was the norm and you could go right to the shop they were made at to get them.
Just try and find an "old school" machinist or auto body shop anymore. Try and find a good plating shop too.
People are also buying up parts to resell for ugly profits and that doesn't do us any good either. Since this forum is about an engine group that was never really that popular outside of Ford people and it isn't interchangable with everything including the kitchen sink, it makes parts harder to come by. Just when technology and the parts world was coming around to the 385 engines.
So yeah people rant about it, everyone on here at one time or another has. Be it parts availability or poor quality.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes... A year ago, I indefinitely postponed three new projects because of part shortages, blatent price gouging, and the imminent climate change. It is worse now, than it was last year. Kinda glad I did not start something that could be overly expensive to finish.

Edlebrock wants $500 for an FE intake manifold... nah... time to go to the swap meets.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I hate to say it cause we have suppliers here on the forum as well but it's looking more and more like swap meets and online communities are where we're gonna be getting out parts from for the foreseeable future. That is till something happens with the EPA, manufacturing and distribution flusterclucks, and the RPM act goes off and dies a painful death. Now given the fact that we will always in one form or another need good machine shops/builder's that's good for our vendors but that's not all of where they make their money. Reselling is also a substantial part of their revenue. And as Mark and Scotty have pointed out here before, this supply chain buggery has really cut into their business hard as well. Mark has mentioned that he has had issues trying to get pistons for a long time and Scotty has mentioned he's had issues trying to get camshaft blanks. That's been holding true for a lot of consumers trying to build their own for some time as well.. I've noticed that's somewhat of a pattern going on across several forums... See here's my theory... If you wanna shut down the hot rod community, where are the main areas of the engine that need to be modified to produce power? Induction, compression, timing, and also by modifying the stroke. We need aluminum to make intake manifolds and heads. Yes to a degree we can get by with good ol iron heads, but those will eventually be limited in supply as well. Compression, once again we need aluminum for pistons. Also for compression and induction comes camshafts and camshaft blanks. A few letters from the EPA has probably threatened the cam manufacturers (just my theory). Timing? Eventually that will be illegal to modify the timing on any vehicle beyond factory specs... It'll get to the point that along with a sniffer, you'll have a timing light to pass as well. Stroke? Comes back to aluminum.. have to have aluminum for stroker pistons... Now... If I'm not mistaken.. isn't aluminum one of the key materials that's used in the manufacturing of EV's for the batteries?? Hmmm now I just wonder where all that's going??

/Me crawls down from my soapbox and drops mic....

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I've been battling all year for transmission parts .. More jobs than ever coming in but hard to get them all done :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hate to say it cause we have suppliers here on the forum as well but it's looking more and more like swap meets and online communities are where we're gonna be getting out parts from for the foreseeable future. That is till something happens with the EPA, manufacturing and distribution flusterclucks, and the RPM act goes off and dies a painful death. Now given the fact that we will always in one form or another need good machine shops/builder's that's good for our vendors but that's not all of where they make their money. Reselling is also a substantial part of their revenue. And as Mark and Scotty have pointed out here before, this supply chain buggery has really cut into their business hard as well. Mark has mentioned that he has had issues trying to get pistons for a long time and Scotty has mentioned he's had issues trying to get camshaft blanks. That's been holding true for a lot of consumers trying to build their own for some time as well.. I've noticed that's somewhat of a pattern going on across several forums... See here's my theory... If you wanna shut down the hot rod community, where are the main areas of the engine that need to be modified to produce power? Induction, compression, timing, and also by modifying the stroke. We need aluminum to make intake manifolds and heads. Yes to a degree we can get by with good ol iron heads, but those will eventually be limited in supply as well. Compression, once again we need aluminum for pistons. Also for compression and induction comes camshafts and camshaft blanks. A few letters from the EPA has probably threatened the cam manufacturers (just my theory). Timing? Eventually that will be illegal to modify the timing on any vehicle beyond factory specs... It'll get to the point that along with a sniffer, you'll have a timing light to pass as well. Stroke? Comes back to aluminum.. have to have aluminum for stroker pistons... Now... If I'm not mistaken.. isn't aluminum one of the key materials that's used in the manufacturing of EV's for the batteries?? Hmmm now I just wonder where all that's going??

/Me crawls down from my soapbox and drops mic....
The same can be said for firearms, if no ammo is available all you have is an expensive and not very effective bludgeoning tool.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The same can be said for firearms, if no ammo is available all you have is an expensive and not very effective bludgeoning tool.
Got that right. I waited 3 years and finally got my lastest one 6 months ago from S&W Model 629. Then it took a while to get brass and lead for it.
Anything that is either EPA or political is taking a hit right now. Can't wait to see some chrome stroker electric motors. Last year a biker friend and I went to the Harley dealership. They had an electric Harley. My friend said, ain't no way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would say "1/2 term Joe" but we'd be even deeper in the crapper then...

·
Registered
438 Posts
America has all the aluminum and steel you could ever need. Just as we do crude oil all 3 to support our passion. Now none comes from America but overseas. Funny how the people overseas sure want our older cars/trucks now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Got that right. I waited 3 years and finally got my lastest one 6 months ago from S&W Model 629. Then it took a while to get brass and lead for it.
Anything that is either EPA or political is taking a hit right now. Can't wait to see some chrome stroker electric motors. Last year a biker friend and I went to the Harley dealership. They had an electric Harley. My friend said, ain't no way.
Everything is taking a hit. Even food.

The problem biggest is a lack of truck drivers.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
America has all the aluminum and steel you could ever need. Just as we do crude oil all 3 to support our passion. Now none comes from America but overseas. Funny how the people overseas sure want our older cars/trucks now.
None?

Hyperbole much?

·
Registered
438 Posts
None?

Hyperbole much?
Wife is from west Pa. You should see the shut down steel mills and coal mines. #45 was bringing the alum business back to the USA, but not anymore. I have a friend that is a retired truck driver. They call him about once a week trying to get him to drive again, 6 month contract, $5K-$10K sign on bonus, $65K-$75 per year. Big extra if he'll drive to Seattle or Portland.
No one wants to haul either way in/out of those and other cities due to last summer's "peaceful protestors". That's one of the reasons, MP is having a hard time getting parts. Wonder what they pay to ride shotgun?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts