460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the wheel cylinders on my 1984 E350 motorhome. My question is, I am re-using the "plungers" or actuating pins that push the shoes out. It seems that the whole on the new cylinder's boots is very tight and before I jam them in I would like to know if I am supposed to lube the pins with anything to make the initial installation easier and to allow for easier movement during the normal drum brake operation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just replaced the wheel cylinders on my 1984 E350 motorhome. My question is, I am re-using the "plungers" or actuating pins that push the shoes out. It seems that the whole on the new cylinder's boots is very tight and before I jam them in I would like to know if I am supposed to lube the pins with anything to make the initial installation easier and to allow for easier movement during the normal drum brake operation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
It is normal for the boot to fit very snugly on the push rod. Once it gets on properly it no longer slides on the rod. If you feel like a lubricant is needed to do the installation choose one that will not attack the rubber boot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It looks like brake fluid can be used since it will not destroy rubber; I wasn't sure when I posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts