460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
These are definitely going to be giving the LS boys a run for their money. All forged bottom end, 446 cubes in a package the size of a 351, basically built to handle boost out of the box... what's not to like. Ford is already offering them as crate engines. The stock 430 hp truck engine is $8,130, so too rich for my blood, but not out of the realm for a lot of racers. The junkyard engines are going to be prevalent in years to come, but probably expensive and hard to find for the first few years due to sheer demand.

I'm guessing a slew of intakes and a cam locking kit are already under development just by looking at what everyone does with a big cam in an LS engine. Be cool to control it anyway with a Megasquirt 3 box. Thank God these are port injection and not DI motors. There's bosses on the heads up in that massive valley where I'm sure these will get it one day, but they probably won't be like that for a while. I, and I guess Ford, don't see much gain on a truck engine that's supposed to be under load all the time. That huge open valley looks like a great spot to place a blower and keep it all under the hood...

Reactions: 76f100bb

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are definitely going to be giving the LS boys a run for their money. All forged bottom end, 446 cubes in a package the size of a 351, basically built to handle boost out of the box... what's not to like. Ford is already offering them as crate engines. The stock 430 hp truck engine is $8,130, so too rich for my blood, but not out of the realm for a lot of racers. The junkyard engines are going to be prevalent in years to come, but probably expensive and hard to find for the first few years due to sheer demand.

I'm guessing a slew of intakes and a cam locking kit are already under development just by looking at what everyone does with a big cam in an LS engine. Be cool to control it anyway with a Megasquirt 3 box. Thank God these are port injection and not DI motors. There's bosses on the heads up in that massive valley where I'm sure these will get it one day, but they probably won't be like that for a while. I, and I guess Ford, don't see much gain on a truck engine that's supposed to be under load all the time. That huge open valley looks like a great spot to place a blower and keep it all under the hood...
What's is good about this build, it was not built for NA, but to run a blower...........so it would have made more if built for NA..........can't wait for the blower results.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts

My understanding is it has powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons. Long way from “all forged bottom end” Still looking forward to potential with good internals.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My understanding is it has powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons. Long way from “all forged bottom end” Still looking forward to potential with good internals.
That seems to be correct. I read somewhere it was all forged. Of course there's a lot of misinformation when something new comes out...

I wouldn't hesitate to use the stock stuff though. This would be an awesome engine for just about any application where our beloved BBFs go, but won't fit. Hopefully fleet trucks will choose this over the 6.2 and we'll get a bunch of them in the bone yards in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts