460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a barn, probably sometime Sunday (2 days from this post). Friend has looked at it and turned it over with a bar, says it turns OK, maybe a little tight in a spot where the rings have been sitting. Unknown how long it's been there - guy had several motors of different makes. Asking is $400 which I think is fair if its a good core. Any suggestions on what to look for appreciated. From the discussion it sounds to me like a 2 BBL "Thunderjet" from a Thunderbird. Probably C8VE heads, etc. Owner was friends uncle which has passed away, so no first hand info available. Could be a fun future project upgrade for the Falcon's 351C.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Look at the rear of the block where the two rear cylinders reside, look for cracking there from freezing. I looked at a 429 with C8 block/heads that looked great, weird C6 trans/bell housing and crankshaft mounted PS pump. Upon closer inspection rear two cylinder's water jackets had (2) 3" vertical cracks on each cylinder. Just an FYI, it was the only 385 block I have ever had an issue with.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent to scrap, freeze damage and a lot of rust in the jackets, apparently stored with water in it. Bummer. #5 cracked with a pronounced lump. Too expensive to sleeve, etc for an old block vs buying another. Oddly, mostly at the front of the block. Rear looked OK. Cylinders looked good, pistons slid out no problem, crank mic'd .001~.0015 under. But friend gave 100% refund if all parts returned, so loaded it all up and sent it away.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
If the engine is still avalible take the water pump. If the pump has a C8SE # stamping it's worth around $150-$200 for the core. I'd also take the pulleys as that kind of stuff is getting harder to come by.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Falcon76, How complete of a block are you looking for? I have a 95 460 short block with 140,000 miles on it. 0.0015 taper on the front two cylinders. Less taper on the other cylinders. Block was in my class A motorhome and was replaced with a 4.3" stroker. It's sitting in my heated attached garage, taking up space.

Richard

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't really looking, more of a 351C guy. This just happened along and thought I "why not". All I expected was maybe a block, pair of heads and maybe a decent crank. All parts are returned, that was the deal. I'll ask him if he still has the pump and what the casting number is, if it's right I might try to help him sell it. I thought about offering something for the heads but with the bad luck on the block I'd end up with $200+ in the heads and a pair of junk heads, so didn't bother.

LOL on the 95 - we use a 93 F-350 7.5L gas to pull our race trailer, more CID is the long term plan should we decide to keep the truck forever. Only 105K on it now, so nothing wrong with it. Other than the typical bitty exhaust leak right side until the manifold heats up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts