460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VERY SHORTLY WE ARE GONNA DYNO MY MOTOR, will keep everybody posted as to how we make out! gunning for 1100 n/a hope she can pull it off.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Sweet !!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Maybe someone could tell me what the purpose of the MSD sticker on the valve cover is? I think there were stickers like that in the boxes with my MSD distributor, Digital 6 box and coil, but I never saw any reason that it was needed. I just leave them in the box with the leftover parts.
Gary

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
gtmustang said:
Maybe someone could tell me what the purpose of the MSD sticker on the valve cover is? I think there were stickers like that in the boxes with my MSD distributor, Digital 6 box and coil, but I never saw any reason that it was needed. I just leave them in the box with the leftover parts.
Gary

Gary evidently you never got to close to an MSD when it was running, for some reason it makes bodily functions let go and warm yellow fluid go trickling down your legs, along with your hair standing on end and some severe jumping around to try and let go or get the hell away from it! :shock: the spark will jump several inches with out warning...

Randy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TopSportsman916 said:
Good luck Lou!!! That is one bad motor you got there. I don't think you will have a problem getting to that level. What will be the rpm range of a motor that size with those heads? :D
CHRIS, YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE! HOPEFULLY NEXT WEEK I WILL PUT HER ON THE PUMP! GOT A LOCAL SHOP WITH A BRAND NEW DTS DYNO. IT SURE IS NICE TO HAVE SOME LOCAL RESOURCES! I FOUND THIS GUY HE IS ONLY 25 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE AND DOES THOUSANDS OF CUSTOMERS AND I NEVER HEARD OF HIM UNTIL LAST MONTH. WE ARE GETTING A BILLET FLYWHEEL SO WE CAN SPIN HER UP AS HIGH AS SHE'LL GO THE DYNO IS GOOD FOR 2000 HP AND 15000 RPMS WE MAY EVEN SPRAY IT LITTLE. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G-Code said:
Good luck, what do you rev it to ?

G-Code
so far i've had it to 85-8600, it has the valve train for 88-9200 that is what we designed it for and are hoping to get out of it but we just don't know yet i only made a few shakedown passes at the track then we ripped motor down to look at everything and everything looked great so now its off to the pump. reason we didn't dyno motor first was that i didn't have any headers and the motor is kinda a task to get in and out of car. now that i have headers time will tell hopefully next week by end of week. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
He is going to dyno it next week ............. Stay tuned :wink:

This is a cool *** hell build I can't wait to see the numbers. 8)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bruno said:
any #s yet ---inquiring minds want to know :wink:
my panties are in a bunch also, i had only 3 passes on motor at the track we learned that it needs more converter and a $hit load more nitrous! first outing went 8.20 at 166 with 2 small shots at 3000lbs on a 28x10.5 tire morealess shakedown passes keep in mind this whole entire car was changed, chassis and everything. was just nice to know that the car went staight it stopped, and i tried 2 nitrous systems out of my 3 that ran clean as a whistle all the way down the track. i only went across the line at like 75-7600 rpm so i am still way out of the ballpark. its kind of a balancing act you have to spray it pretty good to get some kinda idea about the converter and gears in the car which i really didn't do yet had 2 very small hits on her! this engine was like building a chineese puzzle so with that in mind you can imagine that there is alot of stuff that can go wrong i put the car on a chassis dyno and made 1 pull and it ate up one of my slicks on the first pull so that cut our day off early the dyno for some reason shut off at like 7000 but at only 5000 the car was already making 640 rwhp and like 720 ft lbs of torque i don't know if it was the tire or what but the machine shut off, i stayed in it to about 8100, car seemed to be laboring and then i saw all the smoke and chunks of rubber flying out so i shut her down. obviously not the #'s we were looking for so upon pulling the oil filter apart i foung a lot of aluminum chips more than you would like to see it also broke a side retaining clip (snap ring) on one of my brand new w&w exhaust rockers. so i felt it was in my best interest to pull the motor back out it look at everything even though it leaked down perfect.to my surprise everything looked gorgeous! all the aluminum must have been from when i re did my valley tray and intake area from welding and grinding its amazing how good i thought i cleaned and covered everything and still how much $hit gets by! so we went through everything with a fine tooth comb including relapping the valves and upon taking the heads completely apart we found one of my brand new manley nextek springs dropped 50lbs! from the rest, other than that everything else looked perfect maybe just a freak thing. well anyway another $2000 later after re-honing, new rings ,cam bearings , all new mains and rod bearings and reassembly and hot tanking the block head gaskets etc etc. we are ready to put it on the dyno at the end of the week maybe friday will keep everybody posted.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
How much spray do you plan on hitting it with on the dyno ? That baby is going to be screaming at 8,600+. Have your ear plugs 8)

G-Code

1 - 20 of 81 Posts