460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gerald called this afternoon, got it mounted and broke it in, no leaks, all looks good to make some noise tomorrow.

Will get some results and video etc.

I know its not a Ford, but I put the thing together myself with parts from vendors on this site, and its an engine..............:cool:

4.030 bore
3.75 stroke
4 bolt block
Scatt forged crank
Scatt 6'" h beam rods w 2000 bolts
Diamond dish piston, 9.8-1
B & B pan with widage screen
Melling select pump
ATI balancer
vortec iron heads, light port job, dont remember the flow #'s
Cammotion hyd roller
rpm air gap intake, port matched
750 holley w proform main body.

pump gas, going in a 85 short box p/u, powersteering, power brakes etc etc. Dynamic racing trans turbo 350, UCC 10" converter, 3.73 gear.

I'll take a wild guess at 450 - 470

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I know its not a Ford, but I put the thing together myself with parts from vendors on this site, and its an engine..............:cool:

I'll take a wild guess at 450 - 470
An engine doesn't know what name is on the valve covers. That sounds like a snotty little SBC. Whats the CID, bore/stoke?

Bill

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
How big is the cam?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Does that spec sheet have anything about the cubes??LOL:D

The vortec heads are supposed to be pretty good. Thats what the wife's Nova has in it. Its a 305 Vortec out of a mid 90's truck with a Performer int. Should be a nice little cruiser.

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
okay i admit it..........I'm curious too?!!......kinda like riding a fatgirl......fun as hell till youre buddy catches you with one:D:D:D!!!!......I will be impressed with 450 with Iron vortecs....Lets see whats its got!

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Should have put the cl a little closer 108 or 106

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Does that spec sheet have anything about the cubes??LOL:D

The vortec heads are supposed to be pretty good. Thats what the wife's Nova has in it. Its a 305 Vortec out of a mid 90's truck with a Performer int. Should be a nice little cruiser.

Bill
Jon, We still don't know how many inches that little booger displaces. If we're gonna make fun of your Chevy, we'll need more info.:p

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should have put the cl a little closer 108 or 106
The sheet called for 108, it went 108.75 when I degreed it on the straight up notch on the chain, it was either 4* adv or 4* retard with what he had, so i called it good lol.

fixed the CI specs..........

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
475-500 if the heads are right......

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made it back, below was the best pull, corr altitude was 4100'
91 pump gas, I was concerned about the valve springs as they are just a shimmed "Z" spring, valve float was happening at 6100

Should make a fine "burger engine"

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Guess I was in left field on the one, need a better cam and some more squeeze.......

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah the low compression and cam hurt it for sure. They were happy with it, this was not an all out race motor lol. Kid will get into plenty of trouble as it is. I did set if up for a 150 shot of spray, so it should be plenty.

Fun project, not as exciting as a high rpm smallblock Ford though.........:D

Pulls were made with his mechanical fuel pump and water pump. Oil pressure was a lot better than the old motor, better crank clearances etc, high volume low pressure oil pump, 30wt dino oil. Crank shouldn't snap on this one either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts