460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted last night on a local board. Somehow the topic of an LS1's actual displacement came up and it evolved into sheer stupidity. The scary thing is.... he lists his occupation as "Mechanic"..... :shock:

5.7L = approximately 350 cubic inches. Nearly no engine is going to be built exactly to a certain number of cubic inches. Also, displacement is a measure of the fuel and air that can be contained in a combustion chamber, thus a supercharged nitrous car for example, has a higher true displacement than the same motor naturally aspirated. Hey, I can be technical too
actually it does, because at over 100% efficiency, you are taking in more fuel and air, and thus forcing the capacity of the engine to increase. That can alter displacement. It may be slight, but it can alter it.
And lastly...

My actual displacement is probably right around 346 cubic inches. That was never my argument. Mine was that a 346 CAN push over 350 cubic inches.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More:

you guys must be extremely retarded or mabye you just never LISTEN. The displacement is not physical, it is a virtual displacement that has the equivalent of a larger engine, thus the over 100% efficiency rule. The displacement is the MAX amount of fuel and air contained in the combustion chamber, so it does not change when you let off the throttle or the car is not running or anything.

And yes, he believes it to be true. :?:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts