460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The left inside hole where one of the short bolts from the water pump goes (nipple in middle left of picture) is actually not drilled through on the new timing cover I just got. Is this normal? Should I get a shorter bolt or drill it through?

Also, any opinions on using a used, slightly corroded backing plate? Of course I would clean it up first. I'm assuming the answer is to buy a new one - don't cut corners on a $20 part? Only annoying thing is that none of the dealers around here have one and I'd have to wait on shipping - no work this weekend on the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If I recall correctly, those nipples are for the small bolts that hold the timing pointer on.

If the water backing plate is not pitted or rusted thru, you can simply sandblast it clean and reuse it. You may want to coat it real good with a quality epoxy primer and let it completely dry....this will help prolong the rust for a while.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
make sure on the bolt hole that's not drilled through you use the proper length bolt -to long of a bolt and you can pop the back of the casting off and the peice will drop down and fall between the timing chain and gear -turn the motor over and you have a broken timing chain
Frank

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
make sure on the bolt hole that's not drilled through you use the proper length bolt -to long of a bolt and you can pop the back of the casting off and the peice will drop down and fall between the timing chain and gear -turn the motor over and you have a broken timing chain
Frank
X2

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so it is supposed to be a closed hole. Good to know.
The backing plate is pitted a little, but I think some cleanup and paint will be fine.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,001 Posts
You didn't say if you were using a stock water pump or not. I know the backing plates can have different size indentations for the impeller in them depending on the make of the water pump. An Edelbrock water pump for instance requires a different backing plate than a stock water pump. The impeller is smaller so the indentation in the backing plate is smaller. Make sure your equipment matches or you may be chasing a heat problem later. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
You didn't say if you were using a stock water pump or not. I know the backing plates can have different size indentations for the impeller in them depending on the make of the water pump. An Edelbrock water pump for instance requires a different backing plate than a stock water pump. The impeller is smaller so the indentation in the backing plate is smaller. Make sure your equipment matches or you may be chasing a heat problem later. Hope this helps.

Good point exactly...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am aware of the Edelbrock difference. I'm using a FlowKooler, so it should be the stock size. Thanks, though. It's always the little details that bite you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts