460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 1985 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 yesterday. I'm 6'4, size 15 shoe, and I fit pretty well in it...which surprised me.
It had a V6 in it but someone took it out and put a 2.3L fuel injected engine in it and it also has a 5 spd manual transmission. Guy said he bought it from a dealership and they said it had around 20,000 miles on the engine and the guy said he put on another 20,000 probably. 4x4 works as well. At first it was driving good before I bought it but then it spit and spuddered....guy found out water got in the distributor cap and got it back running good when I came back with the money. I got him lowered to $1000 and bought it.

Now I drove it 36 miles back home and it had no problem. It does need some paint and body work.

Just did a tune up, changed the oil, put in some new headlights and bulbs.

My plans are to use it for a daily driver to go to work (which is 36-40 miles away) and to college (which is 30 miles away).

PROBLEMS. WHAT COULD IT BE? WHAT CAN I DO?

-----When I push in my clutch sometimes and come to a stop it makes a weird grinding noise until I let go of the clutch. It doesn't do it all the time (just like my old 99 Ranger did with a 5spd manual transmission). What could this be?

-----My fuel needle seems not to read right. I have put in 9 gallons and it didn't come past E. The needle does go up though when I turn the key on but stops around E but it has been dropping some though (since I have no put no more gas in). It didn't have a fuse in it at the fuse panel but I put one in and it still does the same thing. Any ideas what this could be? Sending unit? Loose wire?

----Around 45+ mph my truck shakes bad. Guy said the tires weren't balanced and plus they are nylon or something kind of tires and aggressive mud grips. I also let go of my steering wheel and the truck went to the right..so I am thinking it could be out of alligned. Any ideas?

----When I am going up a hill (5th gear) my truck goes about 50 and I have the pedal pushed down and it doesn't go any faster. I also tried to give it more gas just going down the highway and it just won't go over 55 mph...What could be the problem? Fuel filter? Any ideas?!?

What should I do to my Ranger?

As I have mention it is a daily driver. I do though want to fix it up. Was thinking about a suspension lift. Any ideas what I should do?

Tire reads that it is a 7.00x15lt rim. Don't know what exact size it is.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It had a V6 and would've had higher gearing than a 4 cylinder, thats probably the problem with the acceleration in 5th gear. Plus the 5th gear is an overdrive gear. Leave it in 4th gear sometime and wind it out and see what it does. With a little TLC that could be a good d&d.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had a V6 and would've had higher gearing than a 4 cylinder, thats probably the problem with the acceleration in 5th gear. Plus the 5th gear is an overdrive gear. Leave it in 4th gear sometime and wind it out and see what it does. With a little TLC that could be a good d&d.
I'm aiming at getting good MPGs (25 or so) but people said this is impossible. I would like to have a little hp but Rangers can only pull themselves.

Would like to get a little lift too.....maybe that won't hurt MPGS.

You think I can get 25mpg with this?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Cap you need some 4.10 gears in it most of the 2.3 had 4.10 gears in them with 5 speed.If all you can get is 55mph in 5th gear you want get that good of gas milage it will be putting the engine in a strain.Like was said run it in 4th and see how it does, I think with the 2.9 v6 gears they should be around 3.55 to a 3.73 .The 88 I had with the 2.9 but it had a automatic trans it had a 3.55 but my 2000 had a 3.73 in it.My 86 with the 2.3 in it had 4.10 gears and my Dad's 02 with a 2.3 with a 5 speed has a 4.10 gear in it.My Dad's reanend might be for sale I am out the on out of my 2000 in it he wants to try the 3.73 in his if they work like he want and helps is out the 4.10 will be for sale if not the 3.73 will be for sale.

Jim

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cap you need some 4.10 gears in it most of the 2.3 had 4.10 gears in them with 5 speed.If all you can get is 55mph in 5th gear you want get that good of gas milage it will be putting the engine in a strain.Like was said run it in 4th and see how it does, I think with the 2.9 v6 gears they should be around 3.55 to a 3.73 .The 88 I had with the 2.9 but it had a automatic trans it had a 3.55 but my 2000 had a 3.73 in it.My 86 with the 2.3 in it had 4.10 gears and my Dad's 02 with a 2.3 with a 5 speed has a 4.10 gear in it.My Dad's reanend might be for sale I am out the on out of my 2000 in it he wants to try the 3.73 in his if they work like he want and helps is out the 4.10 will be for sale if not the 3.73 will be for sale.

Jim
Want to trade rear ends? Lol.

I need to weld some new floorboards in..

People say I am going to only get 18mpg-20mpg with this engine and transmission..what in the world? Thought I would get at least 25mpg.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Well I got a 86 4x4 2.3 5sd that got 26-27mpg, but that was back when ya couldn't go over 55. but thats all you wonted to do anyway.had real skinny straight treads on it that mite of helped.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guy is telling me that if I wanted to get 4.10 gears in my 7.5 that it ain't worth it and to switch to the 8.8 but it will be heavier.

Any ideas what I should modify on the 2.3L to get better mpgs?

I already did a tune up (oil, spark plugs).

The steering gear box is leaking. Think I should just get a whole new gear box?

I think my master cylinder is leaking. Think the booster is ok though.

OH, I hit a dog today with it too. Just wanted to put that out there.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If you hadn't got any 4.10 gears after we ever get the 3.73 in my dad's to see if he like the 3.73 or I have to put the 4.10 back in it I will get with you but the cold weather is coming so it might be the spring before I change them out.Yes get a reman. steering box I have never had any luck changing the seals in one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A winch and a roll bar aint going to lower my mpg any lower will they? Lol. I know its extra weight but dang it aint like it an extra 1,000 lbs.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
1991 Ranger's and Mustang's had 2.3s with two plugs per cyl. check the junk yards and pull the head and get the coil pack.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts