460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went back to the strip and got some of the gremlins worked out. My 1st run was 10.42 at 129.27, The 2nd run was 10.38 at 125.96. After those 2 runs the track started running 1/8 mile because it was only 40 deg. and the track was getting slippery. My third run I had to abort cause I started drifting sideways at 330 ft out so I got out of it. After that I said time to go dont need any more body work projects this winter. On my second run I could feel the car skating a little going thru the traps. Maybe thats why I lost some speed. I was pretty happy but I havent played with the jets or the timing yet so maybe I can squeeze a little more out of it.

The Engine is a 509 with a set of P-51s I bought from Lem and had Charlie
Flow. The cam I also bought from Lem. Stock Victor Intake with a 1050 Dominator. C-6 tranny with a low ratio gears set,4500 stahl convertor,4:10 gears. Split mono-leaf with Cal-tracs. 10.5 wide Tire.The car is 71 Torino Cobra 4000 pds :D :D :D

Tore

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruno. My nephew told me if I lost some weight it could go faster yet. Little ***** I got him in a head lock and gave him a little noogie for that. Tore

·
Registered
765 Posts
Very impressive!! I think i need to do whatever you're doing!! :lol: My 4000lb truck has 800hp and i have yet to go faster than 11.0. I've got a similiar setup other than it's a truck.....please tell more!

Great job
mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I am not real sharp with this picture stuff. Lem you did a good job with the cam match-up .Charlie produced some good numbers with the heads. A friend of mine in town Dave Christo has been putting my engines together. He has some fabulous cars. Boss 429,351,302, and a new Shelby.
My wife was there with her camera but they have you to far away to get pictures. The car carries the front off the ground pretty good.
Alot of people came and looked at the car last night and when I told them it was a 509 they thought I was blowing smoke. And I had one guy wanting to buy it. I will try to get some pictures .
I think I can tweek somemore out of it.This car is still street legal to.

Tore

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Very 8) numbers :!:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can say it feels like the car is carrying the wheels . The guy that helps me hasnt been able to go and my wife isnt to good for giving details.
The one thing I feel that has really helped was the split mono-leaf. It has improved my 60 ft times and also traction. I have a set of Rancho shocks but havent put them on yet. I also went to a 6 cyl front spring. Tore

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm still tuning on my bars. I have the Rancho shocks and am still tuning them also. My car lifts the wheels then sets them down and then scratch's for traction, sometimes it gets a little loose. LOL The ET Streets do a pretty good job but I know a real slick would be better. I might go with the split mono leaf springs over this winter.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Torino

Tore I have a 71 Cobra Torino and when I Took it to the track with traction bars and M/T et streets on the back The car had the 429cj motor in it at the time on just motor and foot braking it 3500 stall would pull the tires off the ground. They work well as long as there heated up good. Joe

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Torino

torinojoe1971 said:
Tore I have a 71 Cobra Torino and when I Took it to the track with traction bars and M/T et streets on the back The car had the 429cj motor in it at the time on just motor and foot braking it 3500 stall would pull the tires off the ground. They work well as long as there heated up good. Joe

What track did you go to?

I'll be at milan the 11th for the no et nats.. bring tha thing out and get lane for shits and giggles.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
StephenW said:
How many Torinos do we need to have our own smack talking clique? Any pics?
Wouldn't take many, we outweigh everyone else by 2:1.

Except for those of us who have super awesome tube chassis Torinos..... :shock:

Greg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts