460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use Grade 8 bolts and washers for stock heads. I've seen people suggest Ebay and a company called Boltlocker for new head bolts but I can't seem to find them on there any more. My local parts stores can't get them and I'm afraid to call the Ford Parts Department $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

What do you think?

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Can you use Grade 8 bolts and washers for stock heads. I've seen people suggest Ebay and a company called Boltlocker for new head bolts but I can't seem to find them on there any more. My local parts stores can't get them and I'm afraid to call the Ford Parts Department $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

What do you think?

Jim
Grade 8 bolts are fine for an iron headed rebuild. We have OEM head bolts over here if you wish to purchase a set.

If you have all your OEM head bolts and for some reason think you need to change them out for your engine rebuild, think again. They ought to be just fine.

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Paul. While cleaning them up they just look a little pitted. Nothing major but just don't want to screw up something. Stock rebuild with factory heads and want to make sure they don't break or twist off or maybe be stretched.

But since you think they're okay I'll just stick with them.

By the way, do you sell balancers? If so how much for one that can be used for a stock rebuild. And could I reuse the factory one. It looks pretty bad. Rusty and grungy looking.

Thanks Alot,
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts