460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much clearancing is necessary on a 4.5 stroke using alum rods and a stock block?

·
8,522 Posts
I try not to mess with aluminium rods much ....but... I'd ask GRP . If the stuff hits the fan they will ask all the questions...so... let them have all the answers up front .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Rods

I think Dave Mclain has said no clearencing is necessary with aluminum rods and a 4.5 stroke in a stock block unless it is a D9TE. He also said A-460 Blocks need minor clearencing at the bottom of the bores.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aluminum vs Steel Rods

Lem: Why do you prefer Steel over the Aluminum? I am assuming longevity, but is there anything else?

Bryan

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
From my experience using an aluminum rod in a stock block is no problem at all. I've used the BME 396 forgings with a 4.500 stroke in several engines with no clearance issues at all.

I recommend aluminum rods over steel for very high rpm or horsepower applications. I feel that they are easier on everything else in the lower end of the engine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like a blown alky dealio? so with a 3.59 or 3.85 inch stroke there will be no clearance issues?

Does piston weight come into play?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts