460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas :)

going to pick up a 460 engine this evening for free off craigslist, has low comp needs a quickie hone + ring job i bet.

anyways, its going to replace the twin turbocharged 302 in my fox.

looking at doing a large single blow through setup on the all stock 460 motor. figured id register on this site for when i need help with the swap :)

first question, will a c4 mount to the big block? or is it a c6 only type of deal

here is a video.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/iitru45/?action=view&current=Picture006.flv

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/2006/Drags_4-28-06/Drags_4-28-06_rs.wmv

thanks

Johnny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigBlockRanger said:
random-strike said:
first question, will a c4 mount to the big block?
With the correct bell, yes.
excelent, this engine does not have a trans or anything attached to it, so i have the opportunity to get the correct parts the first time.

the bell that is needed for the c4 to bolt up which it is?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Like this one.

Probable not as rare as this guy claims tho.

Ebay ad

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
C4 bell and C4 trans

C6 bell does not come off voluntarily LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigBlockRanger said:
C4 bell and C4 trans

C6 bell does not come off voluntarily LOL
gimme a break and lets stop beating around the bush and come to a conclusion here.

is there a certain type of c4 say off a certain car that will only work up against the big block? like a c4 out of a car that had the 460?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
C4 has a removable bell. C6 does not.

Get a C4 and put a BB bell on it. As for what cars to look in for a BBF to C4 bell I have no idea.

Might wanna start a new thread or do a search on this site. I'm sure there are more knowledgable tranny guys on here than me.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Mid to late 70's T-Birds, Cougars, and Ranchero's originally equipped with a 351M or 400 engine is your best bet for finding them.
Not all of these vehicles had the C4 trans, only a certain percentage did, you'll just have to search them out.
Also, a few big Ford vans had them as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
77-78 t-birds and the like. Look for a 351M and a trans code W. You'll need a later model pan fill trans for the bell to bolt to - early model case fill C4s have bells that bolt to the pump. Or get a JW Ultrabell. You can read up on the differences between Ford trannys at the TCI site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts