460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this fine specimen today about an hour before dark... He was headed for parts unknown when he stopped to check out a doe... I ranged him at 565 yds. and dropped him in his tracks with my 300 Ultra Mag...
He weighs about 240# dressed weight... :shock: Big deer...

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
You gotta lenco sittin in your shop floor and your out shootin poor deffensless animals??????? what the hell??????

NICE............. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
richter69 said:
You gotta lenco sittin in your shop floor and your out shootin poor deffensless animals??????? what the hell??????

Doug has all winter to bring that tranny down here and put it in, but just about a month or so to hunt. I'd be hunting too right now. :lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Nice deer and what a shot!! I guess you guys hunt alot of open range there? Here we're usually hunting in the brush and getting alot closer shots . Good job Doug. Gotta be able to eat before you can race :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Leaving to go elk hunting on the 1st of Nov for 10 days + . nice buck !! will have all my fall farm work done and then some . will call you on the mustang when I get back
FraNK

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
schmitty said:
richter69 said:

Doug has all winter to bring that tranny down here and put it in, but just about a month or so to hunt. I'd be hunting too right now. :lol:

Thanks guys... It sure would be nice if I could bring my truck and parts down there Rob... Heck, if I could do that, I'd stay 'til spring and be that much closer to the Bash... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
56tbird said:
Nice deer and what a shot!! I guess you guys hunt alot of open range there? Here we're usually hunting in the brush and getting alot closer shots . Good job Doug. Gotta be able to eat before you can race :wink: :lol:
Hey Dan, yeah alot of our hunting can be pretty open... But we have some pretty heavy timbered stuff as well... I'll get a few pics next time I go out... As far as the shot goes, I went through Sniper school in the Army, and I shoot 100's, maybe 1000's of rounds/year at ranges out to and including 1000 yds... I don't condone people shooting at long range because it takes a certain nack... I know ALOT of people here that have seen me make shots like this one and have got themselves a Magnum rifle, and think because it says Magnum on it, that they can do the same thing... Only to find out it's not as easy as it looks, and they end up tracking wounded game or losing it because they THINK it's so cool to be able to stick a bullet farther down range; even though most of them have no business shooting past 200 yds... Sometimes I just dread hunting season because of this and this alone... :evil: :evil:
So, all you hunters out there just be sure you can handle the task before you do something "unethical"...

Thanks for all of you other guys' comments too,

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
thanks to Doug's help I was able to make a handload that will do about 3/4" groups at 100 yards. This is with my savage 25-06. Doug knows his stuff. I am a decent shot and I probably wouldn't even try anything over 300 yards.

nice rack :oops:

Opening morning is Saturday and I can't wait.

stephen

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
schmitty said:
richter69 said:

Thanks guys... It sure would be nice if I could bring my truck and parts down there Rob... Heck, if I could do that, I'd stay 'til spring and be that much closer to the Bash... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just like on the Price is Right. COME ON DOWN! :lol: 8)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easier said than done at this point Rob... :wink: :D

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey, nice deer, nd season starts in 2 weeks! HEHE gotta love the 300RUM i got me one about 2 years ago and I LOVE IT especially the range compared to my old '06. What brand of gun is that it dont look like a remi 700? :D

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Hey Doug, Thats not fair. I have to use a 12ga. or a muzzel loader.I'm like Dan,I'm lucky to see 50 yds. Nice Deer and nice shot :shock: I'm still bow hunting. Shotgun season starts 1st. of Dec. Later Rick

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
69mach428 said:
Hey, nice deer, nd season starts in 2 weeks! HEHE gotta love the 300RUM i got me one about 2 years ago and I LOVE IT especially the range compared to my old '06. What brand of gun is that it dont look like a remi 700? :D
Thanks, yeah I really enjoy shooting my RUM... My rifle is a Savage 110... (as well as all the rest of my rifles) People can have their opinions, but I've shot and owned them all, and the Savage by far is tops in my book... Here's a 3 shot group I shot 2 weeks ago with my hunting load...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
skosler said:
thanks to Doug's help I was able to make a handload that will do about 3/4" groups at 100 yards. This is with my savage 25-06. Doug knows his stuff. I am a decent shot and I probably wouldn't even try anything over 300 yards.

nice rack :oops:

Opening morning is Saturday and I can't wait.

stephen
Hey Stephen, ya oughta take a vacation next fall and come on up and I'll take you out into the big elk woods... :D Heck, any of you... Come on out... :D

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
379 Posts
oops, dum me i forgot savage made guns chambered in rum :D , what loads do you use in yours?, im shootin 150's and im having trouble with it tearing up all my meat :x Im a remington guy myself i guess thats because thats what my family has always used but i wouldnt mind gettin me a 114 american classic in .270wsm that would be nice :D I just bought a new savage 17hmr and i love that little baby its definelty a tack driver and the pdogs better watch out! :D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Nice kill Doug. I also shoot a Savage, but in 7mm Mag.
Be sure to post a pic of the big Bull when you tag him, and send me some Elk meat. 8)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts