460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for some 9 inch Ford rear end information for one of my circle track customers when I found this page:

http://www.oldmanengineering.com/9inch.htm

I think it's about the most complete listing of available ratios that I've ever seen.

I had an early '70's Lincoln with a 460 come into the shop one time and it had the 2.33:1 ratio in a 9 inch. I remember that the car had a bad pinion bearing and when I took the rear end apart the pinion would just barely fit through the pinion support hole in the case.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I was looking around for some 9 inch Ford rear end information for one of my circle track customers when I found this page:

http://www.oldmanengineering.com/9inch.htm

I think it's about the most complete listing of available ratios that I've ever seen.

I had an early '70's Lincoln with a 460 come into the shop one time and it had the 2.33:1 ratio in a 9 inch. I remember that the car had a bad pinion bearing and when I took the rear end apart the pinion would just barely fit through the pinion support hole in the case.

Good stuff Dave thanxx for sharing.

:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
WOW 2.33, i thought 2.47 was the highest ratio they made.
I put a 2.47/t-lock in 69 f-100 390/t-18 and it made the granny usable and lower rpms on highway. It was great for towing and everyday use. Switched to a modded 88 300 but it didnt like the 2.47 so much so i ended up changing it to a 3.25.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
WOW 2.33, i thought 2.47 was the highest ratio they made.
I put a 2.47/t-lock in 69 f-100 390/t-18 and it made the granny usable and lower rpms on highway. It was great for towing and everyday use. Switched to a modded 88 300 but it didnt like the 2.47 so much so i ended up changing it to a 3.25.
That "2.33 to 1" is false if you divide the r/p tooth count. It divides out to 2.69 to 1. To get a 2.33 to 1 you'll need a 15 tooth pinion and a 35 tooth ring gear. I may be wrong but I don't think a 15 tooth pinion would fit into the 9" case.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
well the 2.47 has a 19 th pinion and it fits:confused:
plus dont think Dave would tell a fib
I looked but I could not find any gearset that had a 19 tooth pinion. Maybe the aftermarket gearsets used a smaller cut on the gears to fit a case or are designed to fit an aftermarket case but the FoMoCo gears as I said I think the pinion will not fit into the 9" case, but I could be wrong. Now if it were a 9 3/8" rearend the pinion support is a lot larger and would allow a larger pinion to fit.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I looked but I could not find any gearset that had a 19 tooth pinion. Maybe the aftermarket gearsets used a smaller cut on the gears to fit a case or are designed to fit an aftermarket case but the FoMoCo gears as I said I think the pinion will not fit into the 9" case, but I could be wrong. Now if it were a 9 3/8" rearend the pinion support is a lot larger and would allow a larger pinion to fit.
Well he said it was a '70's Lincoln so it was a 9 3/8" :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The car was a mid '70's Lincoln Mark VII I think. I'm almost 100% sure it was a 9 inch rear end and not the double braced 9-3/8 gear piece. The pinion would just barely fit through the hole in the case. I remember checking the ratio and I remembered it being in the 2.30's I think it had a 15 tooth pinion. I didn't know they made anything higher than a 2.47 until that car. Was a 2.33 or a 2.35 ratio available in the 9 3/8 axle?

The reason I found this chart is that I was looking for 9 inch info for a circle track customer needing around a 7.00 gear and that's a LONG way from a 2.33!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sounds like it would be a very awesome guide to 9" ratios, but unfortunately the website is no longer there. Is there anyone out there that has the info that could copy and paste it here? Or maybe another website that already has?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts