460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Toyota 4x4 Xtra Cab that is getting 1 ton Ford axles and I was originally going to put a small block Ford in it. But, I have a very good running 1970 460 that is in my burnout truck. I'd rather put that engine in something that I'll get more use out of. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I am a member at pirate4x4, but I can't stand the flaming that those guys give if they think the post is dumb. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're putting some one ton's under it, I'm sure a 460 swap would be fairly simple. Probably get some L&L mounts (maybe for a F100-F150?) and make them work. Don't take any of my advice to heart, because I know very little about this subject. I am also a member of Pirate and agree that they can be extremely immature and unhelpful. :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you've got the fabrication skills to put the 1ton axles under it, I think you should go for it. You'll need to fab motor mounts and fab/modify your tranny mount, and mate the wiring harnesses. A body lift would probably help on locating the radiator (probably another custom piece.)
What trans would you run? C6, NP435? Xfer case? NP205, 203, BW1356? I'm assuming all Ford stuff. I think it would be better than the usual Toy/SBC combo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Definetally going with the body lift. But, I plan on mounting the radiator behind the cab to get more clearance up front and also keep things cooler. I'm leaning towards the c6 as the tranny and the transfer case will be whatever came behind a 78-79 Bronco with a 400. I'm sure I'll need a little help on this one throughout the way. Should the wiring be very complicated? It is originally a 22RE, so its fuel injected. I'll be putting a carbed 460 in it, so I should only need a few wires compared to the cluster of wires from the Toyota.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To the best of my knowledge (which is again, very little), the fuel injected fuel pump should be pretty high, so you should need a regulator to get it down to 7-8 or whatever the carb wants. Also, I'd think that the wiring should be fairly simple and just leave what you don't need unplugged. This is going to be a fun/weekend truck instead of a DD, is it not?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 15 gallon fuel cell, so I shouldn't have to worry about the stock fuel system of the Toyota. Oh yeah, I bought a set of engine swap mounts that bolt to a small block and bolt right to the stock Toyota frame. But yes, this will be an off road only truck that will be used for trailriding and playin in the mud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well in that case, it will be very easy to do. It will be very simple to modify those mounts for a big block. Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 78-79 Broncos almost all had an NP205...gear driven, cast iron case, very sturdy. The only downside is the crappy 1.98 low range. With the right adapter it will bolt right to a C6. The wiring should be simple, esp. since you're supplying your own fuel system. Let us know how it goes.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts