460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to figure out why my truck keeps blowing the head gaskets. I got a 96 f250 460 Efi out of a 97 has a 262/262 flat tap comp cam and that’s about all I’ve done to it other then a flow master exhaust. I’ve been using felpro gaskets cause that’s all the auto parts stores seem to have. Been having this problem since I cammed the motor. What can be causing this problem & what would you guys recommend on fixing my issue.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Two things I can think of, one, if you had the heads off and didn't have them milled a few thousandths to get them flat, that will contribute as they could very likely be warped. Second, before installing the heads, use a bottoming tap on all the head bolt holes and then compressed air to clean them out really well before installing the heads, very lite coating of oil on the bolts before they go back in.

Dan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Be sure the block & head surfaces are true. Be sure to follow the manufacturers' directions. Don't overheat the engine. There are gaskets made by others, but Felpro generally has quality. Comply with the tightening sequence and torque. It doesn't seem like the cam change would cause this type of problem. Others may have other suggestions. I don't know which Felpro gasket you used. If you haven't yet tried it, Felpro has a severe duty gasket (520SD) which might help. It costs more but might be worth it if it cures the problem.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
first, is it blowing in the same spot every time? same cly? same side?

next, how do you know they are blowing? In other words, what is going on?

Or what makes you think they are failing? water on the ground, out the pipe? filling clys?

FEL PRO MAKES A GREAT head gasket, what are you torquing them to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first, is it blowing in the same spot every time? same cly? same side?

next, how do you know they are blowing? In other words, what is going on?

Or what makes you think they are failing? water on the ground, out the pipe? filling clys?

FEL PRO MAKES A GREAT head gasket, what are you torquing them to?
Had changed the original heads because they were cracked, the mechanic didn’t change the gasket, burns oil and leaks oil, I know I have a bolt on my oil pan that’s loose, but I see oil built up on the block from above the oil pan so pretty sure it’s leaking oil from the head gasket or could be from the valve covers, loses power (not a lot but can feel the difference) in higher rpm and blows smoke in higher Rpms I’m not for sure it’s blown head gaskets but I think it could be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two things I can think of, one, if you had the heads off and didn't have them milled a few thousandths to get them flat, that will contribute as they could very likely be warped. Second, before installing the heads, use a bottoming tap on all the head bolt holes and then compressed air to clean them out really well before installing the heads, very lite coating of oil on the bolts before they go back in.

Dan
I don’t think the heads were milled I had took it to a mechanic for the engine swap and he said he got the head and block checked but don’t think he did cause he put a bad head on the motor and leaked collant into the block, so put the old heads back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had changed the original heads because they were cracked, the mechanic didn’t change the gasket, burns oil and leaks oil, I know I have a bolt on my oil pan that’s loose, but I see oil built up on the block from above the oil pan so pretty sure it’s leaking oil from the head gasket or could be from the valve covers, loses power (meilleur taux not a lot but can feel the difference) in higher rpm and blows smoke in higher Rpms I’m not for sure it’s blown head gaskets but I think it could be.
Hello, yes I too had the same problem and it was mainly based on the oil leaking from the seal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts