460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My engine has been together for 21 years until today. Removing the heads with these studs was a @%$&[email protected] Anyhow a couple jam nuts and I finally got the heads off. To my delight everything was clean as when I put it together. The concerning thing is the condition of the center outer block end of the studs on both sides. The engine never leaked, used or burned coolant. Is it common after this many years for these particular studs to look this way? After cleaning 3 have some corrosion with the rest looking good. This is a 10.6 to 1mild cammed 466 that I am putting some edelbrock heads on and have a couple questions.

Would it be ok to reuse these studs?

Studs are 21 year old arp's for stock heads. Will these work on Edelbrock rpm heads manufactured in 2015?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since the quality was there originally, I have used coupling nuts to hide the threads and had those bolts/studs shot peened.If the nuts rock on the threads ,you may wanna get new ones.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thread integrity appears to be good with no play in block or nut.

If as I understand 460 head bolt holes are blind where would the rust come from?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts