460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to be a very n00b question...

But I've used the search, and it comes up with build questions.

My question:
Is there anywhere i can see/learn about a comprehensive list of all the 460 heads? Or anyone who would be willing to put that all out there? Stock is what im mostly interested about, given the aftermarkets get alot of coverage. Everyone talks about the d0ve, d3ve, or d9ve heads, And i would just like to learn why. What are the advantages or disadvantages they have over other heads, and the like - for example.

It could also help other novices with what heads work, and which to stay away from. Much in the same sense that the established "460 power chart" answers basic combo questions :)

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
There used to be a head pecking order chart but it may be gone after the big crash.

Alittle summary;

C8,C9,DOVE-A,DOVE-C are 68,69,70, and 71 heads and are for the most part the same heads with soem minor casting revisions. cumbustion chamber size is ~75cc and standard valve sizes are 2.08in/1.65ex.

D00E-R are Cobra-jet heads with larger ports and valves and ~72cc chambers.

D20E,D20E-AB are 72-74 Police interceptor heads I don't recall the valve sizes but I believe the chambers are ~80cc.

D3VE are 73-86 heads and are ~95cc chambers they were offered with a few different size valve combinations. There were several casting revisions which would be something like a D3VE-A2A...

D2VE heads are 72 only heads and have ~95cc chamber but no quenchpad and do not run well on pump-gas.

It was/is common misconseption that the D3's are junk smog heads but Several people are making pretty good numbers with them. Another misconseption is that the DOVE is the be all to end all head for the 429-460 but not necasarrily true, they are a good head because of the smaller than cj ports for street/strip builds which helps port velocity but there are several good heads. I may have left something out but I think that is a decent summary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect, THank you. Now i dont have to ask the question "Are my heads any good?" I can take a quick look at this, and know where i stand :)

I have a 71 lincoln 460 block, But the Heads are from something else, fully rebuilt (so im told). With a Edelbrock RPM intake, I can tell if my heads are decend (with or without port work), or see if i just want to go to Edelbrock/TrickFlow heads.

Thanks again, both of you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might do some research on 429-460.com also. A lot of the same guys both places, but it never hurts to look both places.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So my Cast # is DIVE-6015-A2B
Which makes it a 1971 Lincoln (Ford) 460, correct?

At first glance, All i can find for stock ratings is 365 horse - Cant find torque.

More than i thought. But was the information reliable back then? I know lots of companies lied about their numbers...

Don't think i've Heard/Seen/Read about anyone using DIVE heads. Are they any good? Or maybe i should rephrase that, What is their potential, and should I upgrade to Eddys or Trickys?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The numbers you're looking for are above the exhaust ports and below the valve cover edge, outside the valve cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the code - D3VE-A2A. Anywhere I could possibly find stock specs? Or would a chiltons suffice? Just want to try and figure out my CR, so I can A, ballpark my output, and B, see where I can make improvement. I figure I can play with $5000 on the motor alone. Keep it on pump gas, and see how far I can go. Started eyeing Kaase's P-51's lately... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts