460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned every casting number of 429-460 cast heads they made execpt for the PI heads and the ones without numbers on them. I just bought a parts truck that someone has put what looks to be an 80's model motor in. I would like some info on the heads without numbers on them like what years they were used,chamber size and valve size. The motor runs like it has a vacume leak and has a D8 intake on it. I am curious about a port mismatch and maybe it is sucking from the lifter valley.

Thanks for any info
Dennis Palmer

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
Carbureted heads that have no casting numbers are usually D3VE's and may be E6TE's. On occasion, you will find the casting number on the underside of the intake ports.

As far as sucking air from the lifter valley, this suggests the possibility that you could have later model heads from a fuel injection motor but with the carbureted intake on them. That's a no-no.

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I know about the fuelie heads not matching a carb intake and that is what I am afraid might happened here. I've seen these heads on the big truck motors also with a throttle body intake. I will probably go ahead and pull the intake and see for sure what is going on.
I'm gonna swap the front axle out of the truck and resale it so I want to get it running right. Someone had even put a Motorcraft 2-barrel carb on it. I got a laugh out of that.

Dennis Palmer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts