460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any spare heat shielding laying around? Looking for some foil covered fiberglass matt type stuff to strap onto my collectors so they don't fry the trans.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfree383 said:
I used the Header Wrap, cloth type stuff.
Yeah me too, but after re-wrapping it three times in three different ways and still having it come loose, I've come to the conclusion that it's not going to stay on there. I think it's because the collector is kind of a conical/merge type shape.

I decided to live with the heat until I can get some different shielding instead of having to worry about the wrap coming off and getting tangled up in the drive shaft. Locked up rear end at 80+mph wouldn't be much fun.

Maybe I'll just fab up some sheet metal shields that bolt to the trans?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Header wrap trick: Use "Muffler Cement" available at any parts store. Squirt a dab onto the header/pipe where you start wrapping and secure the wrap with a plastic wiretie. Continue wrapping with a dab of cement every 6" or so and cement the loose end when you finish. Secure loose end with a metal tie just for grins. When the cement dries, cut off the plastic ties, the wrap ain't going nowhere. Gives a neater look without the straps, etc showing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts