460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am normally a Chevy guy, but fell in love with my buddy's grandfather's 77 f150 ranger xlt luxury interior truck.

It has a 460 that has 460K miles on it.

My buddy inherited the truck and promptly got a water pump leak. He broke off a bolt in the block and left it sit for 7 years. I finally talked him into selling it to me. The truck is really a one off custom order. It had 3 gas tanks, bed side tool box and luxury interior.

I have broken the engine down and taken the block and crank to the machine shop and will take the heads tonight since I have finished breaking them down.

Here is the amazing part: All of the tolerances are within factory specs. Yes, after 460K miles, I can just have a cleaning, remove the broken bolt and have the crank polished and cylinders torque plate honed. The machinist specializes in Fords and cannot believe it, yet, the numbers match. It is the original engine.

The plan is this:

Stock sized replacement flat tops to bump up compression a bit, weiand dual plane, demon carb (bought this already), new bearings, moly rings, lunati 270/280H barebones kit with lifters, springs and timing set. So the only internal parts reused will be rods, crank, valves and oil pickup. The truck had a new flex plate and torque converter when parked as well as a new starter.

This will be a budget build for the most part but I want to use good parts none the less.

The worst part of this will be getting the front end back together as my buddy disassembled it and threw parts in a rubbermaid tub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Littlle update: he heads are disassembled and at the machinist and the new pistons get here tomorrow so I will take them and the old rods/pistons to the machine shop to be pressed out and pressed back on after a rod reconditioning.

Bearings and rings ordered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I need to update this thread.

Currently the block and heads are back from the machinist and painted. We are going to assemble the short block tomorrow

The bed it off as is the front clip. The front suspension has been completely redone including new hubs, bearings, calipers, rotors, shocks, tie rods, drag link, etc.

The rear suspension is being done right now and the cab is getting lifted to replace the mounts and paint the last part of the frame.

I have a blog that I have been updating. Here is a link: Home | 77 f150 Restomod

Take a look and let me know what you think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts