460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, thanks for allowing me on the site, I sure value all the great forums and knowledge you can get now days.

So, here is my story, in a bit of a summary along with my build. I am building a 1983 E350 Centurion conversion, but mating it with a 1978 E350 Quadravan 4x4 conversion chassis. I am putting a camper on it, somewhat as a budget "Earth Roamer". My 83 has a bone stock 460 that was replaced by the Ford dealer, it now has 14K on it. The 78 I bought from a guy that bought it from a guy (you all know the story) in Sand Diego that raced power boats. He used it to launch his boat and kept it at the marina (plausible story, the roof is rusted OFF!). He said the motor was built and has about 40k on it ..... Once again, you all know that story. SO, I really don't need one of these motors, and I don't need gobs of hp, I just want a good reliable 4x4. I have the motor almost out of the 78, it has a Dove 9425-B intake, C9VE-A heads, and a DOVE-A block, and Motorcraft Holley. I am not a kid or a hack, I can tell the intake was installed using some skill, nice beads on the ends.

So, I'm leaning toward just getting a nice aluminum dual plane for my 83 motor and passing this one along to someone who can better utilize the parts. Any thoughts from the experts? I guess another option would be to put it on a stand in the garage and get it all cleaned up and pretty in case it's needed. Once again, I appreciate the inclusion, looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you post your questions in the engine tech section you will have better luck getting answers. If it were me, I'd contact Scotty J the Mad Porter and pick his brain, he's a master with the 385 series. This thing is going to weigh a ton, you're going to need all the low end torque you can get, he can spec you a custom cam that will out perform any shelf cam and the price isn't much more. Getting a proper cam will be the difference between a big happy grin and wishing you never built the thing. This is gonna be a cool build, keep us updated and how bout some pictures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts