460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going guys. It's nice to see a 385 message board up again. I have a couple of questions for you people. I am just finishing putting a 429 into an 83 mustang and I have a couple of concerns. First off here's a run-down of what I have. DIVE 429 block, 72cc DOVE-C heads ported by me, Weiand Stealth, Mystery cam from a bracket race car (.560 lift, 240ish 250ish duration), 7 qt oil pan,Mallory Unilite distributor, D&D Automotive Specialties swap kit with 2" long tube heades, and lastly a C6 tranny. Going to get an 850DP to top things off.

Concern #1. When porting the exhaust I went through on the side to the exhaust bolt hole (very small). I had this welded up and the bolt fits fine. It went through at the very end of the threads as the bolt goes in at an angle. Should I be concerned, I would think not since it is not a water passage but I am looking for a second opinion for piece of mind.

Concern #2. Will the stock rocker arms accomodate this cam. I have been told yes but I am unsure. They have screw-in studs, with rockers that have a channel in them where the valve goes, but no guideplates.

Thanks a million guys,

Greg

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
gregaust
(no login)
203.17.162.31 exhaust port
No score for this post December 7 2001, 11:51 PM

I have some pics in a article here of a set of alloy CJ heads ported by john kaase that actually cut right into the headbolt hole.That's the way he does it and it says it won't hurt anything. H-T-H

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Mike
(no login)
209.143.56.97 Guide plates
No score for this post December 8 2001, 9:47 AM

A new set of ARP rocker studs, guide plates and a set of aftermarket chromemoly pushrods might be a good idea with the camshaft your using also roller rocker arms would be a good investment too. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Greg Havemann
(no login)
128.227.249.115 Well if I go with guideplates. . .
No score for this post December 8 2001, 2:12 PM

If I go with guideplates won't I have to re-machine the pedestals 0.25". The problem is they are already on with new gaskets and everyting.

Thanks,

Greg

Mike
(no login)
209.143.56.112 guideplates
No score for this post December 8 2001, 7:11 PM

I appreciate your situation... It would suck pulling the heads off to have them milled but on the issue of milling for guide plates some say yes others say no.

I talked with a guy at the Ford racing techline 810 468-1356 who made this statement. "The only way to know for sure is to mock everything up and see if you have any clearance or geometry problems." Alot of guys have gotten away without machining the pedestals and I intend to mock it up and try. There are lot of people on the forum with opinions on this isssue so you'll more than likely see more posts on this subject.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts