460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am in need of the pilot bushing to put a small pilot convertor into a BBF. The pilot on the convertor (that I got from a forum member, who says he had it in a similar setup. HA!) I have is too short to reach the recessed portion of the crankshaft. Help ME!!:eek:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ford made 2 different sized snouts, a large 1.850" FE (390/428) and early 429/460 style and the small 1.375" 351M/400 and 429/460. Try contacting some t/converter makers and see if they sell the spacers. I bought a converter a long time ago that had one welded on. I think it was G.E.R. Trans.
Jack

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already contacted ATI (found their name in a search here, but they said they didn't have them because they were bad to break). TCI, said they didn't have them. When I put the convertor up against the flywheel & align the bolt holes for convertor, you can move the convertor in all directions while holding it tight against the flywheel.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I have already contacted ATI (found their name in a search here, but they said they didn't have them because they were bad to break). TCI, said they didn't have them. When I put the convertor up against the flywheel & align the bolt holes for convertor, you can move the convertor in all directions while holding it tight against the flywheel.
Thanks
I never seen one like you got behind a 460 . a machine shop can make the bushing you need . what is the pilot size on that TQ/conv. ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey guys, I am in need of the pilot bushing to put a small pilot convertor into a BBF. The pilot on the convertor (that I got from a forum member, who says he had it in a similar setup. HA!) I have is too short to reach the recessed portion of the crankshaft. Help ME!!:eek:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I bought a 429/460 C-6 converter from a member here that was running a C4 behind it. It had a spline bushing inside the converter which I had no use for because I am running a C6, if that is what you are looking for you can have it.
Dave
:)

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The GM Turbo style converters have the small snout. My Glide has a Houghs 9" with a adapter. If you can't get one through the converter manufacturers then you'll have to machine one...OR I have a TCI Street Fighter 3,500 stall I'll sell. New, unused.
Rob

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I had no idea this would be such a hard to find item. Just goes to show that every once in a while someone will sell you something that he knows will not work for you or anyone else in the same setup.
Thanks Again Everyone
Ron

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is it an early crank (68-69)? That is a different diameter also, only by a small amount. Measure if you can, let me know, I may still have mine.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
the converter i pulled out of mine had the small 1.375 it was to little for my crank I have a d9 crank it has the 1.850 the TCI converter I installed fit.My old converter I pulled out was from BDR I had a adapter but loss it.Call BDR and see if they have one 1-877-732-4237 they are in New York.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts